Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS Nightmare MY19 M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having changed out to 18 inch wheels and installing the correct TPMS sensors I cannot - no matter what I do - get the Left Rear to register when doing a TPMS Learn.
I have even changed out the left rear TPMS to another new sensor.....mutliple relearns etc. It has been a month now. Is there anything I am missing?
Any help would be appreciated. MY19 Model 3 Performance Fremont built.

Sorry to hear. Since the car is a 2019, I assume the TPMS is pre-bluetooth, if so try moving the wheel/tire combo from the left rear to another location and see if the sensor that doesnt register follows...

I would wager that it will not as the older style TPMS were not location aware and as long as active in the vicinity of the car (even if activated in the trunk or a second car within signal range of your 3) - they would provide a reading.

This of course throws a wrench into rotating wheel/tire combos as a low or high tire pressure reading that used to be tied to front right might not actually be at rear left.

See if the senor not reading follows the new location of the wheel first.
And in either case, Tesla service or some time spent in toolbox 2/3 should be able to completely reset the sensors, including their positions relative chassis.

Reactions: Street_Tuna
Even with the old sensors, the car can determine location. There are 3 recievers in the car which let it figure out which sensor was in which wheel. I rotate and swap tires all the time when racing and it never has an issue picking up any changes within a few miles of driving, and I know it changes positions because it's always right about the pressure in each corner.

I have the exact same issue with my 2018 M3P!!! The left rear will not register no matter which tire goes there. Very frustrating. I've posted on here about it. Do a search to find what was said. Tesla said bring it in and we'll fix it for $$$$. To date, I still have the same problem although once and awhile it seems to update. Currently it updated 4 months ago.

Reactions: Street_Tuna
Try your local tire shop and ask them to analyze and/or reprogram the sensors. Since these are the 433mhz, most shop should have a TPMS sensor tool to do this efficiently.
Can the stock Telsa continental sensors be reprogrammed?

Realize that both OP's here are saying it's always the same LOCATION of the tire. If they rotate tires, it stays with where it is on the car, not the physical TPMS sensor. Seems very unlikely it's the TPMS in the wheel if it immediately works when put in a different spot on the car.

This very much seems like a receiver issue. I know a lot of cars use 3 receivers, one near each wheel well, so the strongest signal to each must be that wheel. The 4th is guessed from the signal that is not close to any wheel.

However, it appears the Model 3 uses only one receiver, so unclear how it determines locations, and it's closer to the rear so I'd expect a front sensor to be less reliable:

I'd start with looking in the service menu if there are any TPMS faults, and then do a manual reset of TPMS in the normal service area.

I have the exact same issue with my 2018 M3P!!! The left rear will not register no matter which tire goes there. Very frustrating. I've posted on here about it. Do a search to find what was said. Tesla said bring it in and we'll fix it for $$$$. To date, I still have the same problem although once and awhile it seems to update. Currently it updated 4 months ago.
EXACTLY the same issue here. I even replaced the sensor just in case. Saw it once or twice at the beginning.......hasn't seen it since December now. If you EVER find solution then let me know!!!!

EXACTLY the same issue here. I even replaced the sensor just in case. Saw it once or twice at the beginning.......hasn't seen it since December now. If you EVER find solution then let me know!!!!
Will do.
Can the stock Telsa continental sensors be reprogrammed?

Realize that both OP's here are saying it's always the same LOCATION of the tire. If they rotate tires, it stays with where it is on the car, not the physical TPMS sensor. Seems very unlikely it's the TPMS in the wheel if it immediately works when put in a different spot on the car.

This very much seems like a receiver issue. I know a lot of cars use 3 receivers, one near each wheel well, so the strongest signal to each must be that wheel. The 4th is guessed from the signal that is not close to any wheel.

However, it appears the Model 3 uses only one receiver, so unclear how it determines locations, and it's closer to the rear so I'd expect a front sensor to be less reliable:

I'd start with looking in the service menu if there are any TPMS faults, and then do a manual reset of TPMS in the normal service area.
They will not sell the receiver to the public (even after I caused a scene cuase they told me over the phone they would).
Try your local tire shop and ask them to analyze and/or reprogram the sensors. Since these are the 433mhz, most shop should have a TPMS sensor tool to do this efficiently.

-Danny
I brought it to the tire center several time and they thought they had it fixed but in the end they couldn't. I just gave up.

They will not sell the receiver to the public (even after I caused a scene cuase they told me over the phone they would).

Try again, I've never had Tesla not sell me something, and these parts are clearly over the counter parts:

1711648366386.png

Even better, just buy a used one from someone. Ingenext has them for $15 USD!

Reactions: Dean P