Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Special characters in last name are not allowed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings!! While there is another thread nominally on the same topic, the problem my wife and I are having with her Tesla account is slightly different. No matter what we put in the last name field when trying to add me as a secondary contact to her Tesla account, we get the "Special characters in last name are not allowed" error. There are no special characters in my last name - just 4 letters, no punctuation of any kind, in case anyone was wondering. :) Has anyone run into this, where anything entered into the last name field is considered a special character? If so, any fix? Thanks for any help/info you may have. VelkySyr

Reactions: APotatoGod
I recall it being a glitch in their system. The description for the error is wrong. I would delete all the other fields (first name, last, address, email etc) and start again. Be careful with the address, email and phone number formats.

That it is a “glitch” is somewhat obvious. :) There is nothing that I can do to avoid this error. Clearly the error is being thrown errantly. I sent an email to Tesla Support which I hope will yield some results in a few days. In the mean time, I know that there are far more daunting problems we are all facing right now. I hope all are safe and healthy.

Reactions: APotatoGod