Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Special Modes of Operation: Preconditioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While browsing the Powerwall FAQ, Special Modes of Operation, I noticed a new feature other than Storm Watch, Preconditioning.

Preconditioning
When temperatures are below freezing, Preconditioning slowly heats Powerwall for improved operation and charging performance. Powerwall detects temperature change and preheats accordingly.

Preconditioning draws a small amount of power in preparation for high-power charging. During a cold night, Powerwall automatically preheats a few hours before sunrise so that maximum solar energy can be captured during the day.

During Preconditioning, the Power Flow screen may show energy flowing to Powerwall from solar and or the utility grid

Has anyone noticed this before? I do not recall the feature mentioned in the software release notes. Seems like a very nice feature to have by default.

I also noticed a video for "Powerwall Monitoring from the Tesla App".

• Informative
Reactions: MikeBur and Shygar
I seem to remember something about this but I can't remember it off the top of my head. I did see last winter that in the morning it would limit the charging rate until it warmed up, but I'm not sure if it did any kind of preconditioning. I'm guessing the pre-heating energy loss is less than the amount potentially gained from solar.