Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed bleed brakes info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a spare set of front and rear brake caliper bleed screws from Tesla Mobile Service so that I can determine the right dimensions and thread sizes to replace the ones on my Model 3 LR RWD with speed bleeder valves. The original bleed screws for front and back have different part numbers in the parts catalog (front kit with 2 bleed screws is 8008256-00-A, and rear kit with 2 bleed screws is 8008260-00-A). It looks like the Performance Model 3 uses a different rear bleed screw with part number 8008262-00-A, but the front seems to be the same.

There are two different brands of speed bleeders that I looked into; Stahlbus and Speed Bleeder. The Stahlbus screw is a 2-piece system and the Speed Bleeder is 1-piece like the OEM bleed screws. An animation of how the Stahlbus system works is at the very bottom of this post. The Speed Bleeder is identical in the way it mechanically works, even though it's body is 1-piece.

Front bleed screws - I have received the OEM Tesla Model 3 front bleed screw kit (Part # 8008256-00-A) and measured it's dimensions as follows: M10-1.0 thread, 16mm thread length, 30mm overall length. The matching Stahlbus part is SB-110411, Stahlbus SB-110411. The matching Speed Bleeder part is SB1010S, and you get 3 choices between Stainless Steel, Black Steel, and Standard. The Speed Bleeder screws come with dust caps. The Stahlbus ones don't (so order the caps at the same time because the stock ones won't fit). I have attached a picture of the OEM Model 3 bleed screw kit.

Rear bleed screws - I have not yet received the OEM Tesla Model 3 rear bleed screw kit (Part # 8008260-00-A). When I receive them, I will measure them and find the equivalent Stahlbus and Speed Bleeder parts.

I received the OEM Tesla Model 3 rear bleed screw kit (Part # 8008260-00-A) last week. The thread is the same, but the overall lengths and the tapered ends are slightly different. I believe that the same part numbers will work for front and rear bleed screws. See the attached picture of the front and rear parts side by side.

Front&RearBleederScrews.jpg

I don't understand why you think the front speed bleeder will work for the rear? Given that it's larger, it seems like it wouldn't seat properly. Did you try it? Thanks for the info.
No, I haven't tried it yet. I will wait until I have to bleed the brakes to try. Even though the front and rear screws are different, one may still work on the other due to the taper. This thread is meant to share information, so if anybody out there figures more out please share it.

I contacted speed bleeders directly to see what they had to say:

Front....SB8125L

Rear.....SB8125L

We did a Tesla Model 3 about a month ago. Because there is no information out there as to the sizing, I sent him the SB1010S, M10 x 1.0 based on the wrench size of the hex. These were too big. I then sent the SB8125L, M8 x 1.25 which fit the front and rear. There are 2 bleeders per caliper.

I have replied to see which Model 3 variant this was...will follow up here if I find out.

• Informative
Reactions: android04
I see, ok, I'm going to test Stahlbus, price is ridiculous, I agree. Not as stupid as quick connect for them, though - 290 for each. In my case I have 6 pot RB and Model S rear calipers, so fitment is a big question, I guess I will be able to return if it doesn't fit.

Thank you Android04 for posting up this information. I was still questionable about what would fit but went ahead and purchased the Russell/Edelbrock 639630 for about $6.50 each. They fit on front and rear on a Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor non performance with the 18" wheels. I did my bleed and was really impressed with them all around. Once installed everything is super clear and simple. I did almost strip out the rear bleeders trying to bring them up to final torque. Keep in mind on the Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor you will likely have the Mando rear brakes and the bleed valve should only be 10NM while front is 18.5NM. I made the mistake seeing the bleed valve torque no realizing they front and rear had different torque values! The other rear brake model was 12NM. I will put a copy of this on the other bleeder thread also.

• Helpful
Reactions: android04
I’ve heard they’re not as quite as one-directional as they should be and can introduce air. This was a while ago tho so who knows - maybe they’re good these days. I’m sticking with the Motive for now.
Yeah, you have to use a sealant on the threads to keep air from leaking in during bleeding. The Stahbul ones are the only ones that keep that from happening due to being 2 pieces with an O-ring between (but they are expensive). Which is why I will also stick with my Motive Products bleeder.