Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed limit recognition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was surprised to find that the Model 3 doesn't offer speed limit recognition yet (I'm on software version 2019.8.5).
The display sometimes shows speed limits but they appear to be rather random and not really true to what is actually signposted.

For example, on out of town roads it usually displays 100 km/h, which is the standard for out of town roads in Germany.
More often than not there are stretches of road where the speed is reduced to 70 km/h or 80 km/h, mind you not temporary but permanently, as indicated by permanent road signs. Same goes for inner town roads, where the standard speed limit in Germany is 50 km/h, while lots of roads especially in residential areas have a 30 km/h limit (signposted of course).

Now in our e-Golf the camera system of the TACC recognizes the road signs and displays the appropriate actual current speed limit in the display. This tends to work flawlessly almost 100% of the time. Sometimes, especially during roadworks on the Autobahn, the system can get confused due to improperly placed road signs (like a 60 and 80 right next to one another because the contruction workers forgot to obscure the sign that is temporarily invalid), but on the whole it works a treat.

In the Model 3, even though it has so many cameras for the AP system, none of them appear to recognize actual speed limit signs.

This becomes a problem when I want to activate cruise control, as the system automatically accelerates to the max limit it believes to be accurate, even though the actual limit might be much lower. Usually when I set cruise control in any other car, the car simply sets the speed you drive at this moment, not accelerate to some imaginary speed limit.

Anyone else experience this? Has this been brought to Tesla's attention and is this due to be remedied in a future software update? I mean, how is true Autopilot supposed to work if the system gets the speed limit wrong a lot of the time?
I have read that this year there is supposed to be an update concerning stop sign and traffic light recognition, but wouldn't true speed limit reconition be far more important first?

Yes, you're correct they do not use the cameras to read speed limit signs. It will have to be a feature added in the future though, at least for FSD cars. For now speed limit data is map/GPS based and, from what I've heard, comes from Google so any incorrect data should be reported to Google and, hopefully, they'll correct it.

• Informative
Reactions: AustinPowers
The car is using map data and I don't believe that it is using Google maps for speed limits, Google maps is only what you see on the nave system. In the US, a map update seems to be rolling out right now that is significantly fixing issues that have been there for the last year. I'd hope that it may include German updates as well.

• Informative
Reactions: AustinPowers
I just got the latest update, and I believe my Model 3 can now recognize speed limit signs . While driving today, I passed a 70 mph speed limit signs , and the sign on the touchscreen screen changed to the correct limit . Previously, it would only show 60 mph on the touchscreen based on the speed limit stored in the database .

I just got the latest update, and I believe my Model 3 can now recognize speed limit signs . While driving today, I passed a 70 mph speed limit signs , and the sign on the touchscreen screen changed to the correct limit . Previously, it would only show 60 mph on the touchscreen based on the speed limit stored in the database .

Now that sounds great.
I am sure over time we over here will get this update/functionality as well then.

After driving on other highways and roads, I think the speed recognition I experienced last week was a fluke. Taking my normal route to work via tollway, which have signs that state the speed limit is 55 mph, the car showed various speeds between 55 - 70mph.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP