Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speedometer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• 20191122_150818.jpg
    20191122_150818.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 445
  • 20191122_150840.jpg
    20191122_150840.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 347
  • 20191122_150811.jpg
    20191122_150811.jpg
    331.8 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
There's a few items on aliexpress that does GPS-based reflection ("heads up display") rather than direct-display.

Curious how effective the display is. Those items dont have enough reviews to see photos. The other ODB-based HUD devices look decent.

There's a few items on aliexpress that does GPS-based reflection ("heads up display") rather than direct-display.

Curious how effective the display is. Those items dont have enough reviews to see photos. The other ODB-based HUD devices look decent.

The problem with the TM3 is , well it doesn't have a OBD2 connector, so you need the GPS model. I was surprised to see it was pretty accurate. There is an adjustment to calibrate the unit if you need too. The problems with aftermarket HUDs. They need a clear plastic piece on the windshield and without it you will see a ghosting effect on the windshield.

Last edited:
GPS speedometers will generally be much more accurate than vehicle (tire rotational speed) speedometers.

My Model 3 speedometer reads a little fast (3%) compared to those public “your current speed is ...” radar guns, but an app on the iPhone matches that radar speed exactly. Same thing on my previous vehicle, a Nissan LEAF, which read 4% fast. My “beater” 2003 Dodge Ram pickup is spot on compared to both the GPS and the radar.

I too wanted speed in line of sight but also wanted an analog gauge. There is something about having needle that makes it quicker to read. You can also see the needle position in your peripheral vision without taking your eyes off the road. For example on this gauge straight up is 50mph. I also added a clock because all the darn fonts on the screen are hard to read and find against the map. If the screen fails or is rebooted I still have speed! I built a box with a walnut face and carbon fibre enclosure.

Attachments

• 9973CD30-64C1-4493-8316-4E39107CF219.jpeg
    9973CD30-64C1-4493-8316-4E39107CF219.jpeg
    298.2 KB · Views: 246
  • 8AE54E04-1840-4DC3-8BBC-4C4921BD8E21.jpeg
    8AE54E04-1840-4DC3-8BBC-4C4921BD8E21.jpeg
    299.4 KB · Views: 239
  • Love
  • Funny
Reactions: Adam3 and Ben W
I too wanted speed in line of sight but also wanted an analog gauge. There is something about having needle that makes it quicker to read. You can also see the needle position in your peripheral vision without taking your eyes off the road. For example on this gauge straight up is 50mph. I also added a clock because all the darn fonts on the screen are hard to read and find against the map. If the screen fails or is rebooted I still have speed! I built a box with a walnut face and carbon fibre enclosure.
I thought the device on the left was the tach when I first looked at it. Odd that it only went to 12000 rpm when the motor supposedly winds up to almost 18000. My bad.

That looks fantastic!! Gorgeous with the walnut and carbon fiber. The LCD display shows a digital speed readout as well?

I suppose the display could be made symmetrical by adding a small tach on the right, though with one gear the tach would be redundant. (The original Roadster had both speed and tach, always in lockstep!) Or on the right could be compass/heading? Is it battery-powered, or plugged into car power?

I suppose the display could be made symmetrical by adding a small tach on the right, though with one gear the tach would be redundant. (The original Roadster had both speed and tach, always in lockstep!) Or on the right could be compass/heading? Is it battery-powered, or plugged into car power?[/QUOTE]

I played with different shapes and originally wanted a battery charge dial but have not figured out how to get that info. The speedometer has various read outs available including trip miles, 1/4 mile time, heading etc. Wiring was hard, it pulls power from the cigarette lighter (hardwired in the back side so their is no plug) this charges a separate small 12v battery Which keeps the clock running when parked and powers the GPS memory so it doesn’t look for satellites every time if parked less than 4 hours. The led lights in the gauges are also powered by the cigarette lighter circuit but are switched through a relay by power from the passenger footwell which triggers on when you get in the car and put your foot on the brake.

• Informative
Reactions: JWardell and Ben W

Wow. I'm impressed you managed to build that! I'm curious how it works/where he gauge is from and how you're controlling it.
Not for myself, but I get a LOT of interest in a display to show speed, and I'm sure there are others that would like a similar wireless analog option