Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speeds of non-Tesla chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've charged my Model 3 at home every time except once at a Supercharger, so I'm not up with the rest of the compatibles. I just got the 2019.24.4 update that adds ChadeMo chargers (if you get the adapter.) So as of now, I can charge at Superchargers, destination chargers, at home, at J1772 chargers and now ChadeMo. I'm going to St John in New Brunswick in October, and although there are some Superchargers under construction at this point, who knows if they will be done by then. If not, then I'm stuck with J1772 and ChadeMo unless I want to drive 45 miles to the Lincoln NB Supercharger and back to get a charge. It seems like many of the Level 2 chargers around have J1772. So...the question is, how do the J1772 and ChadeMo chargers compare? Is there a significant enough difference in speed of charge to make spending $450 for the ChadeMo adapter make sense?

Most public J1772 EVSEs provide 208-240v at 30-32A, for 6.2-7.7kW; however, a few can provide more than that, up to about 11.5kW (if you have a LR Model 3; the SR and MR versions top out at 7.7kW on Level 2). In theory, CHAdeMO with Tesla's adapter can provide up to 50kW, although the early reports suggest that 30-40kW is more typical. In any event, that'll be something like 4x-6x faster than most J1772 EVSEs. I'm not familiar with the area in which you'll be traveling, so I can't comment on EVSE, CHAdeMO, or Supercharger availability. If there's a relatively small gap in the Supercharger network, then it might be better to schedule in a break of a couple of hours to use a J1772 EVSE; but if the gap is big, a CHAdeMO adapter will shave a lot of time off a trip. You might want to try mapping your trip on A Better Route Planner. It defaults to not using either CHAdeMO or Level 2 charging for the Model 3, but you can try adding each one to see what you get, then compare those plans.

J1772's are typically a bit slow, but it depends on the charger. I have some locally that are 1.3kW, quite a few 3.3kW, some 6.6kW. It's technically possible to have a J1772 charger above 6.6kW, but I never saw one in the wild. Most of the local J1772's are free, but slow.

CHAdeMO's are sometimes 50kW, but around here they're super rare and some are 10kW or 20kW. Most CHAdeMO's are quite expensive, and not all that fast, but faster than J1772.

If you have a LR M3, a supercharger is significantly faster than even a 50kW CHAdeMO, but 45 miles is a bit of a trek for some faster juice. It really just depends on your available infrastructure. CHAdeMO is extremely rare around me, so I wouldn't get the adapter. There's a dozen CCS for every CHAdeMO, and the CCS are usually higher power. If you have a J1772 close enough to a place you wouldn't mind stopping for a few hours, that might be a viable route. But again, the variance in charge rates is considerable so it could be a super slow charger.

I'm going to St John in New Brunswick in October, and although there are some Superchargers under construction at this point, who knows if they will be done by then.

It is almost guaranteed that the SC's here will be online by then. Should be online by the end of August at the latest, according to someone who spoke to the Tesla employee who was setting up the SC in Enfield, NS.

There aren't a lot of public charging options here or hotels on Plugshare, but a few options. I could offer my HPWC if needed, but the Quispamsis SC will be online by then.

Reactions: KenC
It is almost guaranteed that the SC's here will be online by then. Should be online by the end of August at the latest, according to someone who spoke to the Tesla employee who was setting up the SC in Enfield, NS.

There aren't a lot of public charging options here or hotels on Plugshare, but a few options. I could offer my HPWC if needed, but the Quispamsis SC will be online by then.
Thanks for the report. I figure they should be online as well, but (no offence given) I'm in the tech industry and when someone says "it should work" I always say, "I know it should work. I want to know if it DOES work." Anyway, I'm hoping that the supercharger in Baileyville, ME (right on the border) will be up and running - that will help a lot on the way there, and the supercharger in Quispamsis is the one I've been hoping for while I'm there - I'll be there a week going to a handtool workshop with Rob Cosman. He's probably pretty well known in those parts.

So...the question is, how do the J1772 and ChadeMo chargers compare?
Is there a significant enough difference in speed of charge to make spending $450 for the ChadeMo adapter make sense?
I would also consider availability as a primary concern, in particular because you cannot check or trust the J1772 availability remotely.

Typically, Chademo chargers that I noticed have two to four stations and one single J1772 plug.

So during the day, the J1772 is rarely available while at least one ChadeMo is available.

At night, you might be more lucky to find a J1772 and you will be then able to use it all the night if needed or simpler.

So if you can wait until the night and if you are are at a walking distance of a J1772, then a ChadeMo adapter might not needed.

However if you have more time constraint, then a ChadeMo might be useful.

In my case, I will wait instead to get a CCS adapter instead as this will become more popular.

Currently in my area, ChadeMo are mostly located at IKEA and Whole Food Market.

Most grocery stores and parking garage have two or more ChargePoint or PlugShare chargers.

lugShare is indeed the resource that you want to use. It should show you the power levels available at the listed chargers.

Outside of Tesla, Superchargers are called DC Fast Chargers. DC Fast Chargers are different in that they charge the batteries directly without using the car's onboard chargers. In the case of DC Fast Chargers, the chargers are sizable in nature, hence the big cabinets that you see at Superchargers. A DC Fast Charger can provide a lot of current to charge a car. But they are limited by the technologies and the standards that are in use. Just like Tesla has Urban Superchargers, V2 and V3 Superchargers, CHAdeMO and CCS have different capabilities.

But to the basics of your question, a CHAdeMO can charge a 40kWh battery to 80% in about 40 minutes. It beats the heck out of L2 (aka J-177s and destination chargers - all AC, using the car's onboard converters) in time.

Do you need a CHAdeMO? St John looks to only be 170 miles from Bangor ME. You should be able to do and then charge on J-1772 or 120V at your destination.

But if you look at the PlugShare picture of CHAdeMO (below) vs the Tesla chargers (below that), it definitely appears that you have significantly more options with CHAdeMO. Is it worth the month? Since it doesn't appear that you HAVE TO, then I'd so no.
But it works well as an excuse if you WANT TO.

Nominally, at a destination, like at home, it is more advantageous to use J-1772 or 120V plugs to charge if they are in close proximity to your destination. St John has a number of slower connection available. If staying in a hotel, it may be advantageous to pick one that you can charge at. I've seen and charged J-1772, Tesla Destination, and 120V 15A plugs at hotels (See bottom for St John). A few days on 120V charges the battery just as full as a Supercharger.

upload_2019-7-24_17-33-51.png

upload_2019-7-24_17-28-57.png

upload_2019-7-24_17-42-7.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-7-24_17-28-35.png
    upload_2019-7-24_17-28-35.png
    183.3 KB · Views: 91
J1772 are great for overnight charging destination chargers. Chedamo (hoe ever you spell it) seems like it’s the fast charger for non tesla supercharger. It should enable the non tesla ev to travel cross country as this technology spreads. Best thing is this give us tesla owners more options for charging especially on road trips. Will see how cheademo builds out hopefully it spreads

I've charged my Model 3 at home every time except once at a Supercharger, so I'm not up with the rest of the compatibles. I just got the 2019.24.4 update that adds ChadeMo chargers (if you get the adapter.) So as of now, I can charge at Superchargers, destination chargers, at home, at J1772 chargers and now ChadeMo. I'm going to St John in New Brunswick in October, and although there are some Superchargers under construction at this point, who knows if they will be done by then. If not, then I'm stuck with J1772 and ChadeMo unless I want to drive 45 miles to the Lincoln NB Supercharger and back to get a charge. It seems like many of the Level 2 chargers around have J1772. So...the question is, how do the J1772 and ChadeMo chargers compare? Is there a significant enough difference in speed of charge to make spending $450 for the ChadeMo adapter make sense?

How long are you staying, and can you charge overnight wherever you are staying? (or arrange to choose to stay somewhere that will let you charge overnight?)