Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spoiler coming off post PPF wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Feb. of 2022 I had my new MYP fully wrapped. Shortly after, the rear spoiler started to separate. I've had them try to reattach it 2x and it's not staying on. Does anyone know if the spoilers are a "one time use" product, meaning once it's removed it can't be successfully put back on? I know this is another stupid question, but I assume that because this is happening post PPF wrap, my Telsa warranty is voided for this. Lastly, if I ended up just having Tesla put on a new spoiler, would removing the old one damage the wrap underneath?

My experience is the spoilers are considered one-time use by Tesla. They delivered my M3P without a spoiler so they had to come out and install one. That one went down crooked. They removed it, gave it to me and said I could keep it, and then used a brand new one. However, if you take it off carefully (watch the bending), there is no reason you can't clean up the tape and surface, apply new, and re-install. As far as your warranty, I wouldn't call it void...but Tesla certainly won't fix the spoiler.

BTW, you say "I had my new MYP fully wrapped. Shortly after, the rear spoiler started to separate." Are you saying the spoiler was already installed from the factory, you took it to be wrapped, and it began to separate shortly thereafter? That sounds like to me a wrap install issue. Maybe the install company attempted to remove it much the same way as they do emblems, and somehow cleaned off the tape and added more like I mentioned above. I'd go back to your wrap place and tell them. I would think since it's separating so shortly afterwards, they should help you with a resolution. I doubt Tesla would knowingly add a new spoiler to a wrapped rear deck knowingly.

Reactions: Hurricane4911
Upvote 0
How does spoiler attachment work on a wrapped car? Does it stick to the wrap? If that’s the case it sounds pretty iffy.

As for having a new spoiler put in the car, I would not have Tesla do it because they seem to suck at putting on spoilers. I had mine replaced by Tesla SC shortly after taking delivery, and the one they put on wasn’t completely flush in the middle (they even showed me that was the case). It started separating at the edge a couple of weeks later and before I got to the 2nd appoint to replace the spoiler I got rear-ended. The body shop replacing the lift gate transplanted the spoiler to the new lift gate and it has stayed on fine ever since (over a year now). Given this experience I think spoiler attachment on Teslas should be done by pros other than Tesla SC.

Upvote 0