TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Spoilers - How effective/useful?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by MDR SEA, Mar 31, 2018.

1. MDR SEA

MDR SEA 2015 Model S 85D, 2016 Model X 90D

Hello fellow Xers,

We've recently added a 2016 Model X to our fleet.
    I don't like the looks of the rigid spoiler and am considering removal.

Can anyone tell me the benefits - real and imagined - of the spoilers?

I find it just occludes the already poor rear visibility.

Thanks
    MDR

• Informative x 1
  2. Haxster

Haxster Member

IMO, spoilers, for the most part, are properly named. They spoil the look of the car.

From a practical point, at high speeds, they increase the downforce on the rear wheels. This is a good thing if you have to make a high speed maneuver. It can help keep the rear of the vehicle at the rear.

3. MDR SEA

MDR SEA 2015 Model S 85D, 2016 Model X 90D

True enough.
    In this case, I've seen where Tesla implies that the spoiler contributes to the low Cd of the Model X
    Just wondering how significant that contribution is.

4. ninefiveone

ninefiveone Member

The Tesla spoiler is not a downforce spoiler. As noted above it’s there to reduce drag and clean up / direct the airflow coming off the rear.

It’s only effective at highway speeds. I would guess it improves range 2-5% at speeds over 55mph.

• Informative x 1