Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spontaneous Window Shatter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know if this is unique to the new MX refresh or even unique to Tesla but...

Less than 24 hours after accepting my 2022 MX Plaid, driving down the freeway at 65 MPH, the passenger windows blows up. It was like a bomb going off. Completely shattered the window although it stayed intact and in place. Nothing hit it, no impact points on the glass. At the time I wondered for a moment if it was a bullet but as it happened, I was on a long bridge. No one beside the road. Looks like Tesla is going to replace it. Posting the issue just in case there are repeat events. Hopefully this is a one time or nearly one time event.

I don't know if this is unique to the new MX refresh or even unique to Tesla but...

Less than 24 hours after accepting my 2022 MX Plaid, driving down the freeway at 65 MPH, the passenger windows blows up. It was like a bomb going off. Completely shattered the window although it stayed intact and in place. Nothing hit it, no impact points on the glass. At the time I wondered for a moment if it was a bullet but as it happened, I was on a long bridge. No one beside the road. Looks like Tesla is going to replace it. Posting the issue just in case there are repeat events. Hopefully this is a one time or nearly one time event.

Wow, I don't think I've heard of that, at least being Tesla-related.

About 12 years ago I was driving ~80mph down the I-10 in my 2005 Pontiac GTO. I vividly recall seeing something in my peripheral vision a millisecond beforehand, when out of absolutely nowhere, my driver's side window shatters. Same as yours, it stayed together thanks to the tint.

Upon further inspection, mine DID have a point of impact, which would have likely been a BOOM HEADSHOT straight to my left eye or left temple, had my window been down. I used to be a stinky smoker, so window down was usually the case.

Upvote 0
Hello this issue has happened before on some teslas.

I think the part is called window regulator mechanism. If this is too tight, it can cause the window to crack and in some extreme cases shatter.

I heard about this because I had the window regulator on my car replaced and the technician explained that sometimes to fix the issue, the part can be tightened instead. He replaced my regulator as my car only had 3k miles and he didn’t want to run the chance of me having issues down the line.

Upvote 0
Our plaid model S driver's side rear window shattered spontaneously last night, sitting in the driveway. Same as what you described. Shattered in-place. No glass anywhere. But when we touched it slightly, it fell down into the door.

Waiting on tesla service to respond - we'll see what they say!

Upvote 0
Tesla replaced mine without question but I only had a couple hundred miles on the car. I’ve heard from body shop people that the shattered glass is a huge issue. Maybe not so much on a side window but the front windshield if shattered can get into the AC/Heat vents and then blow glass fragments into the car. Just an FYI.

Upvote 0
Tesla replaced mine without question but I only had a couple hundred miles on the car. I’ve heard from body shop people that the shattered glass is a huge issue. Maybe not so much on a side window but the front windshield if shattered can get into the AC/Heat vents and then blow glass fragments into the car. Just an FYI.
This just happened to mine today. Less than 4k miles. I thought a rock it it or something. Lets hope they replace mine with no questions asked.

Upvote 0
Similar happened to me, except entire rear liftgate window. Spontaneous explosion. It was cold, about 33-degrees F outside. Car was parked and I had the defrost on blast for about 15 minutes. Hope this is a one-off thing, and not due to living in cold regions.

Some say it is ultimately the result of a manufacturing impurity (look up nickel sulfide in tempered glass).

IMG_2753.jpg

Upvote 0
2018 MX just happened to me, liftgate glass, cold outside and was warming up inside when it suddenly popped, quite alarming. Trying to schedule a service. Doubt they’ll cover it but who knows.
They should cover it, they covered mine—but it did happen within 2 months of owning the car. Just tell them it was spontaneous. Get it done at Tesla, not 3rd party. Though it may take a while to schedule. Good luck!

Upvote 0