Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify not starting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I got my Y a year ago, I started using Spotify with Bluetooth. No Premium Connectivity. I was pleased that it worked the way I wanted: when I left the car, the player paused, and then it automatically started up again when I got back in the car.

Well that worked for a while. But for months now, it very seldom connects and starts playing when I get into the car. Sometimes the car doesn't see the Bluetooth source at all; sometimes it sees it, but not the Spotify source; sometimes it sees Spotify but hitting Play doesn't do anything; etc.

I generally have to dig my phone out of my pocket and open Spotify. Generally don't have to do anything, just open the app, and suddenly the player starts. Sometimes I have to hit Play in Spotify.

Any ideas how to get this to work more consistently?

Last edited:
Aha! I may have figured it out. About once a week, the phone would pop up a message complaining that Spotify couldn't run in the background. But I was always driving at that point, and it did play when I opened the app, so I didn't dig into the options to figure it out. Well a few days ago I finally dug into the options settings, enabled background, and now Spotify seems to be auto-restarting like it should. Apparently opening the app got it into "foreground" and ducked the background restriction, but now I've enabled it so it's not a problem any more. I hope.

Reactions: ewoodrick