Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squeaking in reverse only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mrklaw

Mar 5, 2020
Berkshire
Moving my car just a few yards down the road to make space on the drive. Have the car in creep so I pull up to the side of the road and brake to a stop. Fine. Then pop into reverse to nudge the car closer to the kerb and as I brake it let’s just the most almighty squeal.

I assume led it was the brakes as they don’t get much use but then why didn’t it squeal going forwards? At low speeds does it not use friction brakes to stop in drive mode?

I’m not sure if regen braking is used in reverse, quite possible it isnt, its very unlikely the friction brakes were used when creeping forwards, that would normally all be covered by regen with brakes only supporting at higher speeds. The brakes are applied once stationary if you have the hold setting on.

I’m not sure if regen braking is used in reverse, quite possible it isnt, its very unlikely the friction brakes were used when creeping forwards, that would normally all be covered by regen with brakes only supporting at higher speeds. The brakes are applied once stationary if you have the hold setting on.

thanks. I guess the follow up question is - do you need to condition or otherwise look after your brakes? If they’re barely getting used do you need to do some high speed braking now and then to scrub them? That might be more difficult now there isn’t a ‘low regen’ option

Moving my car just a few yards down the road to make space on the drive. Have the car in creep so I pull up to the side of the road and brake to a stop. Fine. Then pop into reverse to nudge the car closer to the kerb and as I brake it let’s just the most almighty squeal.

I assume led it was the brakes as they don’t get much use but then why didn’t it squeal going forwards? At low speeds does it not use friction brakes to stop in drive mode?
There's a wear indicator on the brakes that is designed to squeal as the brake pads wear down, it might be worth checking the state of your pads.

I guess you are not using hold mode?

We has big problems in early days reversing off our downward sloping drive. Tesla reassembled the brakes but it soon started doing it again. Part of the issue was low use of the brakes and what was then very cold damp conditions. Problem went away when we got the new hold mode as the car started using regen rather than brakes to slow us down the drive.

But apparently its quite typical, but that didn't explain why Tesla needed to reassemble our brakes - there had been some reports from others of a pin being incorrectly fitted/breaking or something.

Any updates on this? I have taken mine in twice to have this serviced and they resurface the rotors or something like that which makes the noise go away for 1-2 months and then it comes right back. No visible rust and no stone stuck or they missed it twice. Would love to hear if anyone found a solution. Thanks!

YI have been meaning to post an update. I found a video on youtube where you can do brake burnishing yourself and it worked great! I think I will just need to do this if the noise come back. It worked great, no noise from brakes for a couple weeks, very happy! Hope this helps someone else because this was driving me crazy and a little embarrassing :oops:. Now, I just have to find out why my air smells like cow manure when it rains....