Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squeaking left front wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting a squeaking sound from the left front - suspect it’s the u-joint grease issue? It just developed a couple of days ago and I’m 1500 miles from home. Will I be safe driving it back home or do I need to get it serviced first ? (On a one week vacation).

I am getting a squeaking sound from the left front - suspect it’s the u-joint grease issue? It just developed a couple of days ago and I’m 1500 miles from home. Will I be safe driving it back home or do I need to get it serviced first ? (On a one week vacation).
Don't know if it's the upper control arm "creak" or not, but if it is noticeable at low speeds when turning that' most likely what it is. Mine developed the same "creak" (which can be quite loud and embarrassing), and it's the driver's side upper control arm (a known issue). I was assured by the Tesla Service Center personnel that it is safe (but embarrassing), to drive until the control arm is replaced.

I got tired of listening to the creak, so I squirted some Liquid Wrench into the rubber boot (after puncturing a very small hole in it), and it was silent again within minutes. My car goes into the shop early next week for replacement. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Don't know if it's the upper control arm "creak" or not, but if it is noticeable at low speeds when turning that' most likely what it is. Mine developed the same "creak" (which can be quite loud and embarrassing), and it's the driver's side upper control arm (a known issue). I was assured by the Tesla Service Center personnel that it is safe (but embarrassing), to drive until the control arm is replaced.

I got tired of listening to the creak, so I squirted some Liquid Wrench into the rubber boot (after puncturing a very small hole in it), and it was silent again within minutes. My car goes into the shop early next week for replacement. Hope this helps.
Thank you!

Upvote 0
Here's another similar thread in which I posted my solution to the problem, which involves injecting synthetic grease into the ball joint boot. Good discussion with pictures: Upper Control Arm Creak Options

While Liquid Wrench will certainly quiet it down, I'm don't know for how long it will remain that way. Grease seems like a better long-term solution to me, but LW will certainly work in a pinch if you're on a road trip. I used white lithium grease on a road trip, and it worked, as well.

Upvote 0
Here's another similar thread in which I posted my solution to the problem, which involves injecting synthetic grease into the ball joint boot. Good discussion with pictures: Upper Control Arm Creak Options

While Liquid Wrench will certainly quiet it down, I'm don't know for how long it will remain that way. Grease seems like a better long-term solution to me, but LW will certainly work in a pinch if you're on a road trip. I used white lithium grease on a road trip, and it worked, as well.
I agree that a solution that uses grease is preferred, but I didn't have a syringe and I figure the solution using Liquid Wrench would be temporary, but take care of the "creak" long enough to get in for the service appointment (that has now been slid out to May 6th due to part availability issues). So far the noise is gone, but it could come back. Ideally I'd like to have it return about the time I drive into the parking lot of the Tesla Service Center on May 6th.

Upvote 0
I think I'm suffering from this issue. All of a sudden started towards the end of my 130 mile journey, it just started creaking at low speeds when turning. Does it to a lesser extent when in a straight line. Sounds embarrassing but good to know its OK. I've got some silicone spray that I might try. I guess it's fine at high speed due to the loading.

Upvote 0
I assume there's no alignment needed as it doesn't look like the parts are adjustable? I've got it booked on a home visit on the 9th so hopefully it's OK to drive till then. How long did squirting lube in there work? I don't want to do it then they say they can't find the problem.

Upvote 0
Here is description of work from warranty invoice, total service time took around 5 hours.

Correction: Control Arm - Upper - Front - Pair (Includes Alignment Check) (Remove and Replace)
Part
...various bolt and nut parts...
BR UPR CTRL ARM ASSY, RH)1044326-00-J)
BR UPR CTRL ARM ASSY, LH)1044321-00-J)

Upvote 0