Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upper Control Arms

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My tesla is making squeaking/creaking sounds when the steering wheel is turned and going over a speed bump. I asked tesla if it is possible to grease the ball joint itself. They said no because it is cracked and worn out? The estimate says upper control arms so I assume it is a ball joint issue. Can someone let me know if he's wrong or if it is safe in the first place to use grease as a long term solution? Can you replace the ball joint? Is the ball joint part of the upper control arm? Is the ball joint replaced if the upper control arm is replaced? I appreciate the advice.

Links to the grease and products needed in video description. Tesla will not grease the joint. If they replace it, it will just happen again. Since greasing, no issues in 60,000+ miles. If you do it soon enough after the squeaking starts, the joint should be just fine.

Unless you get an aftermarket upper control arm, the ball joint is not separate from the arm.

Upvote 0
Links to the grease and products needed in video description. Tesla will not grease the joint. If they replace it, it will just happen again. Since greasing, no issues in 60,000+ miles. If you do it soon enough after the squeaking starts, the joint should be just fine.

Unless you get an aftermarket upper control arm, the ball joint is not separate from the arm.
So the worst case situation with greasing the ball joint is 200 dollars to fix an already faulty control arm?

Upvote 0
Worst case, the greasing doesn't help and you replace the ball joint. It was more expensive when I made the video, costs have come down.
Best case, You spend $20-30 on materials, and you have the tools, and enough grease, to grease around 30-40 Tesla's control arms.

Either way, the squeak will come back with replacement control arms. I got fed up with replacing them out of warranty. I have not had to re-do them since doing the video. I did both my MS & MX. I've also done a few dozen other Tesla's for others. Tesla does not have enough grease in them joint from new. If they had enough in there, this would never be an issue.

Upvote 0
Worst case, the greasing doesn't help and you replace the ball joint. It was more expensive when I made the video, costs have come down.
Best case, You spend $20-30 on materials, and you have the tools, and enough grease, to grease around 30-40 Tesla's control arms.

Either way, the squeak will come back with replacement control arms. I got fed up with replacing them out of warranty. I have not had to re-do them since doing the video. I did both my MS & MX. I've also done a few dozen other Tesla's for others. Tesla does not have enough grease in them joint from new. If they had enough in there, this would never be an issue.
Do I need to unscrew anything or take off the tire? I don't have a jack or anything. All I need to do is puncture the boot and inject motor oil inside of it right?

Upvote 0
See this post and a couple down for my invoice. cheap at <$200

Upvote 0
See this post and a couple down for my invoice. cheap at <$200

Yes, cheap sub-200, but is it really when they are replacing bad parts with bad parts? It's just going to happen again, and again, and again until they start putting enough grease in these parts.

Reactions: scottf200
Upvote 0
Yes, cheap sub-200, but is it really when they are replacing bad parts with bad parts? It's just going to happen again, and again, and again until they start putting enough grease in these parts.
But do we know if they have made some procedural or other physical design changes? More grease, slightly different joint to allow more grease to get to areas, etc?
I don't think we know. Hard to believe they didn't change *anything*!

Upvote 0
Thank you, I injected aerosol super lube into the ball joint and it has since been fixed
Interesting choice. The properties seem good. Seems like a big hole would be required for the tube maybe.

Super Lube® Multi-Purpose Synthetic Lubricant with Syncolon® is a synthetic, heavy duty multi-purpose aerosol, safe to use on anything that slides, rolls, swivels or squeaks. It withstands temperatures within a range of -45°F to 450°F (-43°C to 232°C).

Super Lube® Multi-Purpose Synthetic Lubricant with Syncolon® contains our Multi-Purpose Synthetic Grease with Syncolon® as its base. It is compatible with most other lubricants.

It is temporarily thinned with a solvent that cleans and penetrates the components to be lubricated, carrying the grease to hard to reach areas. The solvent completely evaporates, leaving behind a thin film of grease that provides long term lubrication that does not evaporate, dry or wash out.

Upvote 0
Interesting choice. The properties seem good. Seems like a big hole would be required for the tube maybe.

Actually it’s a really small hole, smaller than if I would have just used a grease gun. I sprayed it into a cup, let it settle and then used a seperare syringe To inject it.

Upvote 0

If I am leaving the wheel on, does it make sense to buy the smaller or larger grease gun suggested? I'm not very handy so no tools to take the wheel off. I'm a smaller woman so not sure if the gun size helps with the reach. I have small hands which can be good for tight spaces, but also short arms.

Upvote 0