Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squirrel time!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the tires are wet, the traction control lets you know that it isn't willing to go the way you expect from the dry.

Here is eternally sunny California, I feel hamstrung for a few blocks after getting a car wash.

When the tires are wet, the traction control lets you know that it isn't willing to go the way you expect from the dry.

Here is eternally sunny California, I feel hamstrung for a few blocks after getting a car wash.
That's exactly right. You'll even get a little of the rear wobble if you hit a painted spot on the road under strong acceleration. And yes, traction control will "save" you, but the full available power of the M3 RWD simply can't be used on rainy roads. I do think there are probably some different tires that might help, but really, I just have to adjust to the reality of the conditions.

Any sort of power-induced traction loss in the dry requires basically an act of god or heroic driver efforts in my car. In the wet it's still not all that easy, either.
Interesting. Well, I lose traction on a wet road if I use more than about 1/2 power from a standing start. Have you measured your zero to sixty time? It should be right around 5 seconds. If it's more than about 5.5 I'd take your car to a service center have them test it.

Why is everyone disagreeing with this? I thought this was known.
Well, obviously if you apply the same overall amount of power to 4 wheels instead of just two you'll have twice the available traction to power ratio. My Eagle Talon Tsi was nearly impossible to break loose on wet pavement (that was about the only thing positive thing I can say about it. :mad:) I imagine the M3 AWD has the same qualities. I'm sure someone that owns one can chime in here.

Are they softer tires then? What about noise, ride quality, life expectancy?

I don't know if they're softer, they're summer tires. They ride great with low noise, and treadwear rating of 300. Listen, I'm not trying to convince you to buy these tires, I was just trying to help out your situation. Seeing that you disagreed with my original statement, I don't know if there's much I can do. Rain makes things slippery, AWD won't help if the thing connected to the slippery road doesn't have enough grip.

Any sort of power-induced traction loss in the dry requires basically an act of god or heroic driver efforts in my car. In the wet it's still not all that easy, either.

Accelerate harder into a turn. On a 90 turn onto an on-ramp I get get the rear end to slide a few inches on dry pavement and a few feet in the wet.

Well, obviously if you apply the same overall amount of power to 4 wheels instead of just two you'll have twice the available traction to power ratio. My Eagle Talon Tsi was nearly impossible to break loose on wet pavement (that was about the only thing positive thing I can say about it. :mad:) I imagine the M3 AWD has the same qualities. I'm sure someone that owns one can chime in here.

But what does that gain you? And that's implying the model 3 is full time AWD. I'm not saying it's not, but I don't know if it is. I had a Audi S4 before this, it has a mechanical center diff and fulltime 60:40 AWD. If I floored that thing in the rain it would spin all tires, even with summers. That's just what happens in the rain. That's why F1 cars have a different set of tires they use on a wet track.

Edit: I'm also not saying AWD isn't better, I'm just saying it's not gonna help in the rain as much as you think for your use case, which is wanting to floor it.