Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

sr+ charging at 170kw

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey guys, just found this video today.

charging looks so much better on an SR+ now!

Thanks for posting this! I guess for people who were testing 2019.40.2+ in the Northern hemisphere, the key to getting 170 kW is outdoor temperature. Need some of that Aussie December heat!

@Zoomit just based on the limited amount of charging shown here, I think this matches up relatively well with your optimistic V3 prediction. It looks like the taper down from 170 kW starts at around 27% SOC. Hits 100 kW around 52-53%.

I think this matches up relatively well
I'd say it lines up very well, especially since I made those predictions in July! But seriously, the predictions were simply LR battery performance ratioed down to the SR+ battery size.

The video is disappointing--flipping between two displays and also showing rated range not %SOC, so it'd be hard to plot the data.

But yes, it looks very close to the prediction, maybe a few kW higher early and a few kW lower later. Here's the prediction:

20190705-3sr-chrg-png.426779

Also, an easy way to remember if you're charging at the ideal rate is checking the charge power as it crosses 50%. Under ideal conditions, LR cars would be decreasing around 150kW while SR+ cars would be around 100kW.

I tested the increased supercharging speeds at a V2 supercharger last night but it wasn't ideal conditions due to 30 degree weather and not preconditioning the battery long enough. I started charging at 18% and my charge speed peaked at 111kw when the battery reached 21% but speeds dipped to 85kw by the time I reached 31% battery capacity. I'll try again with the battery properly preconditioned from a lower SoC tomorrow and post results.

Attachments

• 2019-12-13_08-23-36.png
    2019-12-13_08-23-36.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 100
  • Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
does the amperage drop when the kw drops? in other words, if the amperage remains the same, is the kw still relevant?
kW is volts x amps. As a battery charges, the volts go up but the amperage goes down to not stress the battery. An LR battery, under ideal conditions from very low SOC, will start at ~700A and during the charge process the amperage will drop to basically zero at the end.

I just got a peak of 127kw in my SR+being at 6degrees c maybe that’s why it was low. Or maybe because the station sucks. That was hope supercharger in B.C.

the first time I tried I had driven 150km before arriving with station programmed into destination. Had 3% to start and hit 118kw with a couple other cars also charging. Then drove 50km and tried again from 26% with no other cars charging and I hit 127kw. Have pics and vid but not sure it’s worth anything since I was probably temperature or station limited. At least I got clear over my previous limit of 100kw!

Last edited:
I can’t even get over 130kw in my LRwith preconditioning due to cold temperatures in NC. And gradual tapering down to less than 100kw by 40%. Is it just my car or is this the cold weather?

Most likely cold weather. I have ~40-45 outside and I couldn't get charging to go above about 70kw.

The tapering makes sense though, I don't expect 100kw above 50% at all. The "optimistic SR+ V3" line above seems right on-point. I can't wait to test it fully when it's warmer.

I even drove 20 miles to get to the closest supercharger near me in Oregon, and they can't even handle 170kw anyway, cause I just wanted to see it go above 100kw. It wasn't showing the cold indicator anymore and even did the preconditioning since I was navigating to it, but alas, no dice, stuck at 70ish. Grr.

this is the best plot I can do with the video data I have.

it was quite warm ambient termperature 27.5 degrees C (according to the BOM) and hd been 31 degrees earlier in the day. To get to the charger I had just finished 90km of highway driving at around 100km/h. Nb in the video the car temperature sensor said it was 31 degrees C.
170kW.png

Last edited: