Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ vs LR RWD. How much more pain on a long trip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Leaving economics aside, I think of it the way I used to think about which iPhone to get - 16GB or 32GB. While I may "never" need 32GB, as soon as you need 17GB, you will wish you got the bigger one. (Of course that ship has long since sailed and now I have 128GB, but that is not the point of the story.)

Your storage also degrades over time. You hit max read/writes.

IOS gets larger, applications consume more space.

Those who plan to hold their Model 3 for a long time should go LR for sure.

Putting it another way. Once you go EV, you won’t want to compromise, so you will work really hard drive to drive your EV. Get the LR so you can drive it more without the work.

I did a trip from So Cal to Utah and back with the family. I spent days with a better route planner trying to make it work. In the end, I took the ICE. Good decision, but upon reaching destination one in Zion, I looked longingly at the Tesla destination charger, but had to reconcile that it would have taken 3 to 4 Supercharger stops to get there. Destination two was an Airbnb, and I found that it had an electric dryer in the garage so I could have charged there, so I felt regret not taking the Tesla. But the last leg would have been nearly impossible without getting a divorce. From the Airbnb, it was up 2,000 feet over 20 miles, then across a plateau for 70 miles, then up another 6,500 feet over 15 miles where we encountered snow and 10 miles of plateau before heading back down. The Tesla might have made it, but I wouldn’t have in my S85 with about 230 miles of estimated range at 100%.

I recently went through the same decision process: SR+ vs LR RWD. I did the "Better Route Planner" thing for a couple of long range trips I anticipated - and in that comparison, I decided the SR+ was sufficient.

Like you I figured 80-90% of my driving would be under 100 miles round trip and the every month or so ~200 mile trip and the SR/SR+ would do.

Then I learned about charging rate differences between LR and SR versions.
Then I learned about "wait lines" at super chargers at busy locations; especially during holidays, weekend, etc.
I've been driving electric cars for 6 years now and have had range anxiety. It's not as bad now as there's far more options - but 'time to charge" on a non-super charger, is well, not a desired factor of any trip.
I have a 7 year old son - long car trips are not his or any kids "thing". They want to get to destination.

Then the price adjustment happened for the Model 3 where the LR RWD with Autopilot actually became $1400 dollars cheaper.

So the net price difference for me was $6400 between SR+ and LR RWD (I got the SR+ order in before $400 price increase) over 5 years is $106/month. $53/month over 10 years (I tend to keep my cars 10 years-ish)

Was spending $106 more a month over the term of a loan worth:
  • Better features (sound, nav, etc.)
  • Much faster charging rates generally
  • Ability to skip a charge or two on a trip (and thus bypass a busy charger station so I don't to go to far out of the way or wait in line to charge)
  • Get to destinations generally much quicker so that I don't get much of the "...are we there yet. I'm so bored..."
  • Less likely to have range anxiety; especially during less than ideal weather conditions
Definitely I decided. Perhaps as much of 80+% of the time it would matter, but that 20% of the time it would very much. So I changed my SR+ to an LR RWD order and haven't regretted it yet.

And yes the difference between "premium" and "near premium" interiors is mostly fluff, but I actually like having those features. I just setup homelink tonight and it's quite nice...

So ask yourself, does $100 a month really matter?

@nightfly Thanks very much. My initial quote from Tesla was LR RWD 19" FSD; but now Autopilot is included, and the penalty has been removed for purchasing FSD later, so I'm taking that off the board for now and will purchase it during a sale or when I'm more flush for cash.

It honestly confuses me that Tesla has taken the LR RWD off the website, it has to be one of the most popular configurations.

I'd love to have easy access to their payment calculator as I play around with the numbers.

@nightfly Thanks very much. My initial quote from Tesla was LR RWD 19" FSD; but now Autopilot is included, and the penalty has been removed for purchasing FSD later, so I'm taking that off the board for now and will purchase it during a sale or when I'm more flush for cash.

It honestly confuses me that Tesla has taken the LR RWD off the website, it has to be one of the most popular configurations.

I'd love to have easy access to their payment calculator as I play around with the numbers.
You realize you're going to lose about 10% of the range with 19" wheels, right?

I will start his by saying I skimmed the thread. I did not notice anyone bringing up winter, since you're in Canada, winter is going to be harsher on the 3 than say where I live here in central CA. Your 3sr+ will lose a significant portion of it's range in the winter. While the same percentage will be taken off the RWD LR, you will still have over 200miles range in the winter* (*depends on how cold it gets, but should average to that).

I will start his by saying I skimmed the thread. I did not notice anyone bringing up winter, since you're in Canada, winter is going to be harsher on the 3 than say where I live here in central CA. Your 3sr+ will lose a significant portion of it's range in the winter. While the same percentage will be taken off the RWD LR, you will still have over 200miles range in the winter* (*depends on how cold it gets, but should average to that).

I need to update my profile. I emigrated from Ontario to the Bay Area last year- so winter is only a concern when I want it to be (driving to Tahoe), and for that we'll be using the Tiguan.

Can afford and really do want the LR, but with the tax credit expiration the price increase is really $7,750.

The 20 year plan :) is to enjoy our SR+ and keep our Mercedes E350 Wagon as a seven seater ... then go with the maximum range on a Model Y and rotate the SR+ into my commuter car, then kid #1's car, then Kid #2's car.

If the drivetrain is really good for 1,000,000 miles we have 66.7 years to figure this out with our average use

Reactions: HyperionMark