Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ with Sports Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone upgraded to the 19 inch sport wheels on the SR+ and noticed a big difference in range?

Plenty of vids on YouTube but all in sunny California. They definitely look better than the 18s with the Aeros off but don’t want to order and lose 20 miles every charge

Yeah it’s plenty of range for us, our commute is about a 35 mile round trip so even factoring in shopping on some days it’s rare that we’d do more than about 60 in a day.

our first decent drive will be to centreparcs in December so I’ll be able to rest the range a bit more then but even that’s not too far (leeds - Nottingham).

Not quite what op needed, but have been running my sr+ since Nov on aeros, and only recently taken them off about 3 weeks now for summer look. I didnt notice any real difference in range when I took them off compared to the weeks before, so 18s with no aeros getting about 215wh/m.

Done about 11k now since November and average 240ish wh/m mainly with aeros on and obviously alot of winter driving so was averiging about 250, but this is now improving as expected due to temp.

Has anyone upgraded to the 19 inch sport wheels on the SR+ and noticed a big difference in range?

Plenty of vids on YouTube but all in sunny California. They definitely look better than the 18s with the Aeros off but don’t want to order and lose 20 miles every charge
Yes, lots of data on it at about 96% of rated range of the whole Teslafi fleet of SR+ model 3 after 14,646 km. We have 352 km vs 367 km for 157 in the Teslafi fleet after the same odometer reading. Check out a lot more on the YouTube channel as well...
www.youtube.com/c/RockyMountainTesla
based out of Calgary!

Reactions: MacPaul
I'm not sure aeros on/off or 18" vs 19" make that much difference in normal use, unless mostly fast motorway driving.

The biggest factors are speed, load, temperature, wind, rain etc depending on how fast or enthusiastically you drive with ANY model 3 variant, including the speed limit of the roads in any given journey. The difference between aeros, 18" without or 19" is less relevant at slower speeds & with careful driving in town around 30mph, estimated range can show considerably greater than the rated value.

I found the chart below before getting my car & although I have a Long Range (inc acceleration boost) & 19" sport wheels not an SR+, my experience with 19" alloys vs the standard 18s is still valid.

The app & my in car display still shows a rated 100% range of 310 miles after 3700 miles, same as new. The on screen display correlates with that whenever I pro-rata whatever % it happens to be at (adding the acceleration boost made no difference whatsoever so that just gives me the opportunity to burn through the kWh's faster if need be)

On Saturday I drove like a demon & estimated range using the Tesla Remote app dropped to 284 miles (roughly in line with the 30 mile average using the in car 'energy' graph). However Sunday the demon became a nun with a steady journey on autopilot mostly motorway at between 67-73 mph (+ a long M6 contraflow 50 or 60mph).

Today, the cars extrapolated range from 85% is now back at 311 miles.

Summary:
Rated 310 miles range
Saturday 284 miles range shown, 150 miles journey, 385kWh used (Tesla Remote & car energy graph estimated range dropped)
Sunday 311 miles range shown, 210 miles journey, 250kWh used (Tesla Remote & car energy graph estimated range back to rated value)

So, in conclusion I seem to be getting bang-on the EPA 310m range, not the 'Range that should be advertised' figure of 289m in spite of using 19" sport alloys (...though this is summer driving, not the average for a year & it will drop if I do long journeys in colder weather).... lots of other factors can make a bigger difference than the wheels.

oBsvMJO.png

• Informative
Reactions: Jeeves
The biggest factors are speed, load, temperature, wind, rain etc depending on how fast or enthusiastically you drive with ANY model 3 variant, including the speed limit of the roads in any given journey. …
I agree, I think this matters far more than choice of wheels in our UK climate – especially with enthusiastic driving at low temperatures. As you can imagine, I’ve experimented with this only occasionally for investigative purposes. ;)

I used to be quite preoccupied with efficiency, but I’ve become progressively less concerned about it as I’ve got used to the car. I can easily do my most-frequent, round-trip journey in the depth of winter with quite a bit of charge to spare, and I can easily make it to the next charger on the longer journeys. It seems to me that this is all that really matters unless something is wrong with the car.

Reactions: Drew57