Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standar Range Plus or Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's just the same as in the rest of Europe: you can get it, but it's off menu, and if you want to know how much it costs you need to get the quote-of-the-day from internal sales. In Belgium "we also don't have it" but I have one on order (LWD, though) and it is now reported to be off the ship in Zeebrugge.

The only issue is that (probably to match demand with production) they're playing with the "AP is included" and "AP is not included" toggle a lot, so pricing can get from "smack in the middle between the SR+ and AWD LR" --where it is currently in China-- to "barely under the price of AWD LR" -- where it now sits for e.g. the Benelux.

In Germany they even toggled from 'AP is not included but you can get the car without it' (which was how things stood after the 30th of April in the Benelux, letting you trade in the AP for the part of the range upgrade) to 'AP is not included but is mandatory', and Tesla also sowed confusion about the manufacturer and buyer eco-rebates, which in effect changed the base price.

It was pretty stupid of them to try to pull those sorts of antics in Germany: it's the kind of thing that drives Germans crazy.

Last edited:
I think it's just the same as in the rest of Europe: you can get it, but it's off menu, and if you want to know how much it costs you need to get the quote-of-the-day from internal sales. In Belgium "we also don't have it" but I have one on order (LWD, though) and it is now reported to be off the ship in Zeebrugge.

not even as phone order?

Not just now - I asked the Edinburgh Rep who started emailing me a few weeks ago. He said on the 2nd that "We aren't going to be offering the Long Range RWD in the UK so you have to look at the other drivetrain options". So, last week, definitely not. In 6 months near a quarter end, who knows. I suspect it will stay this way for a ship or 2 - let them get the higher profit cars to the UK, and sort out the battery constraint issues and we might see a SR+, MR, LR, LR DM and Perf all spaced in convenient £2k gaps. </dreaming>

If you aren't in a rush you could just wait it out. After waiting 2 years I'd had enough and the cost increase is annoying rather than debilitating for me.

Like this?

Very impressive for a RWD. I don't think I would be brave enough to chose a RWD for those conditions as my daily driver. He will of course be using winter tyres and and even RWD on winter tyres in those conditions would hands down beat an AWD on summer tyres.
But in the UK where 99% of people drive on summer tyres year round for the 2 times a year when it snows and the few times it is icy it is a lot harder keeping a RWD pointing in the right direction than a FWD. And AWD is even better. That's all I was saying.
Whether its worth paying the extra for the AWD for those few days depends on individual circumstances? a set of Autosocks might be a better investment for most people!

Reactions: ediflyer
But in the UK where 99% of people drive on summer tyres year round for the 2 times a year when it snows and the few times it is icy it is a lot harder keeping a RWD pointing in the right direction than a FWD. And AWD is even better. That's all I was saying.
Yes, and that is correct.
The trouble is that getting going is only half of the problem and AWD may help getting up to speed.
There is also the other half of the problem, naming stopping, where AWD helps exactly zero, zilch, nada.
AWD may even make the problem worse by masking limited amount of traction available, only finding out there ain't enough when trying to stop before running out of space.

I see RWD as an early warning system - yes, the car might have trouble finding enough grip but this in turns guaranties I will drive slower and use winter tires. Lower price is icing on the cake.

The trouble is that getting going is only half of the problem and AWD may help getting up to speed.
There is also the other half of the problem, naming stopping, where AWD helps exactly zero, zilch, nada.
AWD may even make the problem worse by masking limited amount of traction available, only finding out there ain't enough when trying to stop before running out of space.

I see RWD as an early warning system - yes, the car might have trouble finding enough grip but this in turns guaranties I will drive slower and use winter tires. Lower price is icing on the cake.

If you are from Slovenia you won' really get the gripe with winter tires in the uk. In the south of the UK it is incredibly warm in Winter with daytime temperatures easily hitting 10-15 degrees. If you drive around with winter tires then they are like soft rubber. If I drove home over winter to Germany I used to switch to Wintre tires (german registration) and having those in i.e. February or March in the UK is not fun at all. And for January it is just not worth it.

AWD is not needed and offers no advantage or drawbacks unless you live in eastern europe or northern europe

I can only refer to my experience with an MS 85D (90%@230mi) then a P100D (90%@280mil)
With either MS I never had range anxiety but there was the odd occasion when there was an extra journey that I would have liked to have made but had to duck out of, kid needed unexpectedly picking up from airport sort of thing. The P100D freed me of this to the point that I could forget to charge overnight and wouldn't blink about range the following day.
Do always consider that the cars, if you want to best look after the battery should be regularly charged to 80%, though 90% has be shown to be fine.
Then, unless you on familiar territory you would rarely want to run it under 30 miles range unless you are confident you know where the next charger is. These reasons are why shorter range EVs really can have a limited use case, but all current Tesla's are basically fine for range especially with the superb supercharger network.
I would still say get the longest range you can unless you are really sure you are using it for short journeys only. The range will always hold its value well come resale too.

AWD is not needed and offers no advantage or drawbacks unless you live in eastern europe or northern europe
I've certainly found it useful in Scotland before and therefore opted for it again on the M3. I want the higher range anyway so was an easy choice, I just wish there had been a cheaper option that had the Partial Premium interior as I'm not fussed about those extras!

re RWD discussion - less of a problem than ICE RWD as
a)the Tesla is (evenly) heavy - keeps good weight on the rear wheels

So do most other cars (it suffices to move the wheels to get a 50/50 distribution). The difference is in the moment arm of the concentrated mass of the engine with respect to the wheels that drive the car. The heavy battery in an EV is more evenly spread and spread over both wheels.

You'll be fine on the 18" All seasons. They worked reasonably well for me at -15C in Kansas on snow on I-70 last year.

But yes, the true performance tires (20" rims) are a liability below 4C. :)

Reactions: ediflyer