Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard range journeys

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
D

Dommmm

hello all,

Nearly coming up to a year on owning my SR+ and have loved it. It quickly squashed any range anxieties on the journeys we've done and as time goes on the confidence has certainly grown with that.
The longest trips we've done are from London to Cornwall a few times now and various other costal jaunts, even getting a charge up at the last S/C stop and arriving with 70/80%.
But I just wanted to see what other far and wide trips people have taken their SR+/now called RWD ones on?

thanks!

2021 SR+ LFP, Liverpool to London was absolutely zero drama last Autumn. Topped up (unnecessarily) close to the hotel. Then visited Harry Potter studios where they had PodPoint.
I’d be happy travelling most places with my SR+

My mates just bought an Enyaq 80 and is constantly panicking over range. I’ll be honest, the supercharger network is still a massive USP for Tesla.
My wife has a Mini EV and public charging is still a bit hit and miss.

Reactions: Dommmm
hello all,

Nearly coming up to a year on owning my SR+ and have loved it. It quickly squashed any range anxieties on the journeys we've done and as time goes on the confidence has certainly grown with that.
The longest trips we've done are from London to Cornwall a few times now and various other costal jaunts, even getting a charge up at the last S/C stop and arriving with 70/80%.
But I just wanted to see what other far and wide trips people have taken their SR+/now called RWD ones on?

thanks!
I’ve taken mine to Lake Como in 2020 and South of France last year. This year the road trip is to Sardinia.

Reactions: Sean. and gangzoom
2021 SR+ LFP, Liverpool to London was absolutely zero drama last Autumn. Topped up (unnecessarily) close to the hotel. Then visited Harry Potter studios where they had PodPoint.
I’d be happy travelling most places with my SR+

My mates just bought an Enyaq 80 and is constantly panicking over range. I’ll be honest, the supercharger network is still a massive USP for Tesla.
My wife has a Mini EV and public charging is still a bit hit and miss.
Agreed, I think 200 miles real world range and the S/C network is enough for most things. Haven't pushed it to Europe yet, but that is on the cards and am confident about the S/C's playing a role in making it easy

My main question is did you find all of the snitches though? haha

Reactions: Lord Farquad
hello all,

thanks!
Scotland to Southampton, Isle of Wight and Dorset coast last year. No problems at all. The new RWD with the bigger LFP battery will be even more capable. Our long trips are rare and without time pressure so having an extra stop here and there turns out to be surprisingly relaxing. In my younger years I was dedicated to bladder straining journeys and breaking records ... what an idiot! (Mind you we once did Edinburgh to Carn Brea in Cornwall and *averaged* 78mph, including petrol/pee stops ... in a 1275GT!)

Reactions: Dommmm
hello all,

thanks!
I drove from Scotland to Slovakia via Pembrokeshire last summer. Amsterdam to Slovakia was a single leg. This was in a March 20 SR+ with the 240(?) mile rated range.

My write up is here, ultimately the SuC network made it non-eventful:

Scotland to Southampton, Isle of Wight and Dorset coast last year. No problems at all. The new RWD with the bigger LFP battery will be even more capable. Our long trips are rare and without time pressure so having an extra stop here and there turns out to be surprisingly relaxing. In my younger years I was dedicated to bladder straining journeys and breaking records ... what an idiot! (Mind you we once did Edinburgh to Carn Brea in Cornwall and *averaged* 78mph, including petrol/pee stops ... in a 1275GT!)
fair play! That's a journey and a half! yep I share the same sentiment- I like a walk about too much to not stop and have a stroll every few hours anyway. The journey should be enjoyable too. I've also found the Super Chargers often are linked to decent places which we'd otherwise not have ventured too.
Scotland is on our list, so that's peace of mind for sure.

Happy to say I have the updated RWD on order, which I can't wait to do a road trip in.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
I drove from Scotland to Slovakia via Pembrokeshire last summer. Amsterdam to Slovakia was a single leg. This was in a March 20 SR+ with the 240(?) mile rated range.

My write up is here, ultimately the SuC network made it non-eventful:

Okay that's awesome! and again good on you Medved.
Nice to see the detailed review too, I think it's good to get a long journey under the belt to make the smaller journeys seem a bit easier/do able. But I can safely say I think you did that for everyone!

Thanks for sharing that

Dom

long trips not a problem - even in an SR+. if you watch things like RSymons or TeslaBjorn videos the SR+ isn’t much slower than the LR on really long trips. Smaller battery so stop a little more often but it still charges quickly.

IMO if range is the main deciding factor, then choose based on your longest *regular* ‘don’t want to charge’ trips.
- do you need to regularly (every 2-4 weeks) travel 160 miles - 80 miles each way? 80 miles you don’t want to stop to charge. SR+ will do that fine.
- do you regularly travel 240 miles - 120 miles each way? Again you probably don’t want to stop for that distance as you’ll stop when you arrive. That’d tip me over into recommending the LR.

1000 mile road trip 1-2 times a year? Doesn’t matter, they’re all fine

I needed to get from Cheltenham to a place near Kings Lynn, then to Chelmsford and then back home to Cheltenham. I found I needed to put some manual work into planning this trip. The superchargers at Rugby and Kings Lynn were low occupancy and I could charge quickly, The Thetford supercharger was slow even though there were no other cars.

The biggest worry was the South Mimms supercharger at the intersection of the M25 and the A! on the way home. The place was terribly crowded and two of the superchargers were not working. Anarchy prevailed in queuing for a charging space, there was no organised queuing system in place and the one way system made it very difficult. This last supercharger experience is the worst I have encountered in over 3 years of ownership.

I hope Tesla monitor the wait times at the superchargers and ensure that there is a minimum of over-occupancy.

Thanks.

The non-Tesla stalls seemed to be busy too. I am less inclined to use the non-Tesla stalls because of the payment complexity. Perhaps I should give them a go.

I realised afterwards that there are superchargers at Chelmsford. I could have fully charged there and that would have got me home. I just had not expected the chaos at South Mimms.

What do people use for route planning?