Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard vs upgraded brakes and occasional track use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the market looking for a used M3P. My preference is a 2020 M3P with the upgraded brakes. It will probably only happen once or twice, as I have other cars that are probably more suited, but I plan to take the M3P to the track (road course) just to see how it does. How do the standard brakes perform on a track compared to the upgraded brakes (assuming track fluid/pads of course)?

If the difference is only negligible, and there is not a lot a difference on the street either, then it seems to make sense to consider finding a used M3P "stealth". I had already planned on doing at least minor modifications to the suspension regardless, and changing wheels is easy, so is it crazy to spend potentially $7-9K more on the used market for a fully loaded M3P when the only option I'd be without are the upgraded brakes and wheels? Particularly considering I will probably only take it to the track a couple times?

thanks!

I'm in the market looking for a used M3P. My preference is a 2020 M3P with the upgraded brakes. It will probably only happen once or twice, as I have other cars that are probably more suited, but I plan to take the M3P to the track (road course) just to see how it does. How do the standard brakes perform on a track compared to the upgraded brakes (assuming track fluid/pads of course)?

If the difference is only negligible, and there is not a lot a difference on the street either, then it seems to make sense to consider finding a used M3P "stealth". I had already planned on doing at least minor modifications to the suspension regardless, and changing wheels is easy, so is it crazy to spend potentially $7-9K more on the used market for a fully loaded M3P when the only option I'd be without are the upgraded brakes and wheels? Particularly considering I will probably only take it to the track a couple times?

thanks!

There's no difference (besides feel) on the street- how could there be? The tires are what stop the car after all :)

On the track the factory upgraded brakes obviously have some more heat capacity- but if you can find an P3D- for 7-9k less then get than and spend significantly less than 7-9k getting even-better-than-P3D+ brakes if you want track brakes.

Especially if you already plan to replace wheels and suspension components that seems the smarter way to go than the P3D+ (assuming it's really 7-9k more where you live)