Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starlink Dish - Lightning Protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most probably a commercial pricing separation.

Domestic residents mainly need fast download speeds.

Maybe it becomes a more commercial requirement for high capacity upload speeds... so they'll charge more for that service.

Also might deter high capacity zombie networks, as domestic hardware tends to be less protected from cyber criminals

There are technical reasons why upstream is limited, all working on premise that residential users need a lot more downstream than upstream. Typically they only give you enough upstream to cope with all the return acknowledgements to achieve the full download speed.

Yes, inevitably we are usually looking for more download capacity than upload. Maybe in the commercial world you can choose your split? It certainly limits domestic users from running busy servers at home (not that I want/need to do that). On the ping rates I recall that in 2014 when we had fibre to the home at a different address we had pings in single digit milliseconds. Nowadays we have to hang our broadband off a 4G router with an outside passive antenna so things are very different ... though not dreadful by any means:
Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 10.44.17.png

Maybe in the commercial world you can choose your split? It certainly limits domestic users from running busy servers at home (not that I want/need to do that)
Yes, and/or a different technology that provides the last mile connectivity. Many residential broadband providers don't allow hosting of services within their T&Cs, they will want you to upgrade to a business package.

PITA's posted ping and latency figures were not good, but I assume they are internal issues with using mesh wifi and with a weak signal.

It will be interesting to see how good those figures are with Starlink. They claim 20ms but I think that is just the to/from the Sat, don't know how well peered they are in the UK to the rest of the Internet.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado