Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Start Dates in Maryland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, it surprises me that they are that far behind. Here in florida when I got the call to schedule my install it was only 2.5 weeks out.

They did say that if they had any openings they would move me up, but apparently they did not as I never got a call and they installed on the scheduled day.

Just got my start date today for a MD install. November 2. 4 months, so am guessing about ten installs or so in between. If they finish some early given the "ideal" weather, they apparently move up your dates. Anyone have this happen?
Did you go with the solar roof? I think they still have a fairly small number of teams doing those installs, and who knows how much coronavirus upset schedules. That would also about line up with your 10 installs number since they estimate 2 weeks per roof - though I would note in our case, for what really was a pretty small roof, they really had to push hard (long days, working Saturdays) to get it done in 2 weeks, with little rain.

Biggest concern with that date would be making sure you are comfortable with the exact rules for claiming the 26% ITC in 2020, as I know there has been some discussion over exactly when in the process it is complete for tax credit purposes. County should be quick with inspecting once it is done, but PEPCO at least has dragged its feet to the last day of every milestone it needed to hit. Definitely will need to make sure Tesla is on the ball in getting design changes to the county and utility ASAP, as that will trigger a delay. I know others whose installs slipped from 2019 to 2020 got the 4% ITC difference back from Tesla, so might be worth talking to them about that possibility.

Just got my start date today for a MD install. November 2. 4 months, so am guessing about ten installs or so in between. If they finish some early given the "ideal" weather, they apparently move up your dates. Anyone have this happen?

That is what the delay was for our SolarGlass roof. We ordered in November and installation started in February.

Also, expect some weather related issues. The roof is a sheet of glass. We saw many of the installers fall during the early morning when the roof had some frost on it. So instead of starting up on the roof at 8 AM, they could not get up there until 10AM or later.

Is your install for Solar Glass Roof? If so, that makes me nervous. I have a new construction home that will have a SGL (I just signed the contract last week) and they will probably be at the roofing phase in late September or early October.

When did you sign your contract?

Let's hope things move faster than the expect with your project.

Did you go with the solar roof? I think they still have a fairly small number of teams doing those installs, and who knows how much coronavirus upset schedules. That would also about line up with your 10 installs number since they estimate 2 weeks per roof - though I would note in our case, for what really was a pretty small roof, they really had to push hard (long days, working Saturdays) to get it done in 2 weeks, with little rain.

Biggest concern with that date would be making sure you are comfortable with the exact rules for claiming the 26% ITC in 2020, as I know there has been some discussion over exactly when in the process it is complete for tax credit purposes. County should be quick with inspecting once it is done, but PEPCO at least has dragged its feet to the last day of every milestone it needed to hit. Definitely will need to make sure Tesla is on the ball in getting design changes to the county and utility ASAP, as that will trigger a delay. I know others whose installs slipped from 2019 to 2020 got the 4% ITC difference back from Tesla, so might be worth talking to them about that possibility.
Yes, will definitely be following that. If that schedule holds, I will spend all the money in 2020, so should be ok. Did get the solar roof, so excited about that. Less excited about the wait, but that's ok!

That is what the delay was for our SolarGlass roof. We ordered in November and installation started in February.

Also, expect some weather related issues. The roof is a sheet of glass. We saw many of the installers fall during the early morning when the roof had some frost on it. So instead of starting up on the roof at 8 AM, they could not get up there until 10AM or later.
Oh, geezs. Thanks. Definitely don't need people falling off the roof.

Is your install for Solar Glass Roof? If so, that makes me nervous. I have a new construction home that will have a SGL (I just signed the contract last week) and they will probably be at the roofing phase in late September or early October.

When did you sign your contract?

Let's hope things move faster than the expect with your project.
I signed May 28, 2020, for the solar glass roof. So about 5-6 months signing to roof, under the current schedule.

• Informative
Reactions: preilly44
Oh, geezs. Thanks. Definitely don't need people falling off the roof.
Yeah - it doesn't take much. We heard a thud and it turned out just some very light rain (hadn't even known it started) caused somebody to slip. Of course, everybody was secured, so even if they were at risk of falling off otherwise, they were hooked in.

Since our install was early in the spring (technically still winter,) a little rain or mist could really stick around. They actually went to home depot to buy squeegees to help dry things out more quickly in the mornings.

Yeah - it doesn't take much. We heard a thud and it turned out just some very light rain (hadn't even known it started) caused somebody to slip. Of course, everybody was secured, so even if they were at risk of falling off otherwise, they were hooked in.

Since our install was early in the spring (technically still winter,) a little rain or mist could really stick around. They actually went to home depot to buy squeegees to help dry things out more quickly in the mornings.

Squeegees sound like a good idea. Our team had some leaf blowers up there a few days to speed up the drying.

The only time I go up on the roof is in the late morning or afternoon on a sunny day.

Squeegees sound like a good idea. Our team had some leaf blowers up there a few days to speed up the drying.

The only time I go up on the roof is in the late morning or afternoon on a sunny day.
I could see leaf blowers making sense too. Got the feeling squeegees with long handles were a spur-of-the-moment idea by the on-site manager and something he had discretion to just buy where blowers might have needed some approval. They were definitely doing everything they could to get in as much work time as possible, but still with an eye to safety.

I could see leaf blowers making sense too. Got the feeling squeegees with long handles were a spur-of-the-moment idea by the on-site manager and something he had discretion to just buy where blowers might have needed some approval. They were definitely doing everything they could to get in as much work time as possible, but still with an eye to safety.

Got the same feeling about our team. I think the sub-contractor brought in the leaf blower from home. We were/are in the early days of Solarglass and hopefully these lessons learned are being passed along to the rest of the installation community. Kind of exciting for the homeowner also!

Last edited:

My v2 install last year was early-mid March, so things would be a bit cold/wet in the morning but would dry quickly in the sun. There was only one day they tried to work in a drizzle, after that day they said they wouldn't work on another wet day at my site. But in the middle of a perfectly dry/sunny day one of the crew still managed to slip. He came to me the next day and asked if I could find it on the video I was shooting, as if it turned out decent he wanted to make it a profile video on FB. Unfortunately I was only shooting one frame every 3 seconds, so the whole event was like 4 frames, but it was still pretty obvious when I found it, one shot he was standing on the roof, the next shot he was on his stomach, the next shot another crewmember had turned to look at him and was pointing, the next shot the roofing lead was looking his way, the next shot everyone was back to business and he was back on his feet. So it was somewhat amusing and I sent it to him anyway, but I doubt it was useful being so short. But it was pretty obvious from the rest of my video (especially the last days where I was shooting the roof from the side) that even when someone was just "standing still" on the roof, they were actually sliding down it slowly, where at the 720x speed-up of the timelapse basically everybody was in motion the entire time. I've never had any reason to go up on my roof since my Solar Roof was installed, and hopefully I'll be able to keep it that way (helps being single-story, of course).