Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

State DMV Inspection, After Purchase, Can I use Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kpanda17

Oct 17, 2022
USA
Question, I have two 2023 Teslas and of course Tesla did the new purchase state DMV inspections. Can I book Tesla service to perform the next annual state DMV inspections? Respect and trust my ICE mechanic, but feel Tesla should be able to do the next inspection.

Depends upon the State. In NJ, BEVs don't get much in terms of inspections. Other states want people to shake the suspension. I think, in NJ, there's a two-year hiatus on inspections on new cars; on BEVs, they basically check the brakes.

Every state I've lived in has done inspections and each of them have different rules. Wander over to the DMV office and pick up the standard handbook, it'll be in there.

for older Teslas, anyone do a state dmv inspection at a Tesla Service Center?
Um. What state do you live in? Some states require an official DMV location to do the inspection; some let any old Tom, Dick, and Harry do it; some require special certification and a licensed mechanic. (There have been cases, over the years, where some shops doing "vehicle inspections" were scamming customers by claiming that there were problems with a vehicle when there wasn't any. Hence, licensing requirements.)

Some states have pared back and only want an emissions inspections; others want the brakes checked; and others want the suspension checked. What gets checked usually is keyed to whatever horrific accident occurred last to some jalopy and an innocent bystander in that state.

In every state I've lived in, the requirements are spelled out in detail in the Drivers Regulation Book (or whatever they call it), always available in a little stack inside the DMV office or, I suppose, online these days.

NYS is my state and inspections have to be done at mechanics authorized to perform DMV inspections. The DMV does not do the inspections in this state. The dealers do rhe first and subsequent inspections and mechanics do subsequent. Seeing if Tesla can do the subsequent inspections.

FWIW, in Massachusetts, Tesla does not do inspections because they would be required to do inspections for any car that shows up, and they do not want to be in the business of inspecting ICE cars (and trucks). I am glad for that -- the Tesla shops around here are overly busy as it is.