Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering problem after state inspection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my new MY LR to have its required state inspection (New Hampshire) this morning and it came back "broken". That was a worry I had as I'm in a rural area with few Teslas and these guys definitely don't know how to operate a Tesla.

The symptom is that the steering feels digitized so driving down the road I am sort of zig zagging with slight movement right or left to adjust direction. I can feel the digitized (mild snap) while steering; it is not normal smooth steering. I have no idea what they did at the inspection and needless to say they are denying doing anything wrong. It feels software driven though I don't know. I'm in touch with Tesla service and waiting a response to text with someone.

Hoping someone here might have an idea what's happened.

Tesla reported back. I have to go to service center - 3 hours away - August 31! I found a thread with similar problem but it's 12 pages long so a very long read. No way to safely drive this car.

Anyone want to buy this car?? I'm done with it already. My 2013 MS worked. Always. But none of the "features" creating this nightmare machine. I haven't even begun to talk about all the many phantom braking issues I've come to know and hate.

Last edited:
I took my new MY LR to have its required state inspection (New Hampshire) this morning and it came back "broken". That was a worry I had as I'm in a rural area with few Teslas and these guys definitely don't know how to operate a Tesla.

The symptom is that the steering feels digitized so driving down the road I am sort of zig zagging with slight movement right or left to adjust direction. I can feel the digitized (mild snap) while steering; it is not normal smooth steering. I have no idea what they did at the inspection and needless to say they are denying doing anything wrong. It feels software driven though I don't know. I'm in touch with Tesla service and waiting a response to text with someone.

Hoping someone here might have an idea what's happened.
A state inspection shop isn’t doing anything which would impact Tesla’s software.

A state inspection shop isn’t doing anything which would impact Tesla’s software.
I agree at this point having read the long thread on this steering issue. As I understand it it is not software but the steering rack and it will need to be replaced. I only have 1200 miles on this car. It might be combo of firmware and hardware. It was likely coincidence that this problem showed up immediately post inspection and the paperwork does say they check the alignment but the guy swears he didn't touch the alignment.

This is the thread that is very likely the issue I'm having:
Steering wheel not able to drive straight