Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

State Farm Drive Safe & Save: my Model 3 is not getting the full discount, why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I threw my tracker out the window as it caused me to get a speeding ticket. I came up to an unexpected speed change from 45 to 25 and slowly slowed to not lose a point for had breaking. Well I was at 41 just after the sign and got a ticket for trying to drive safe.

You were rightfully protected and served!

I have this dream about driving a beater, exactly as they say we should be driving, and counting the accidents I'd be causing by precisely following the speed limit and the road markings. My guess is I'd be pulled over for drunk driving in no time.

You dont find it strange to allow your insurance company to track how you drive?
That is interesting. I would say that your history of accidents is far more important than "how you drive". But, insurance companies ONLY understand statistics. I worked for one for many years and there is no consideration of individual for many of their calculations. That's the whole basis of insurance. At some point they may understand the difference in a big picture view, but I doubt we are there yet with this tracking stuff. It will take time and lot of analysis.

Do they give you an additional discount for every salad that you eat?

Donno, as I am not a fan of stuffing insurance trackers into either my body, or my car.

Just for sh*ts and giggles, I had borrowed a friend's Hum ODB-2 plug-in gizmo while he was on vacation. I tested it for two days - one Friday worth of commuting, then Saturday during a DE.

It only took the first day to find out that the lowest possible driving score it assigns is 40 (out of a 100).
By the end of the second day, I had so many alerts (100+), it was laughable.

Lucky for him, this was not tied to his insurance plan. Else, he would have been dropped by Sunday!
:D

s

That’s how it begins ...

How you wear a tin-foil hat and live in paranoia? :p We're all being tracked and mined in many other ways if you use technology at all. Unless you wanna go off the grid, it's unavoidable, well maybe almost but that's a whole other debate. All I can say is I've been using DS&D for years and have had no complaints other than it being a bit unfair on the grading sometimes in my opinion.

That is interesting. I would say that your history of accidents is far more important than "how you drive". But, insurance companies ONLY understand statistics. I worked for one for many years and there is no consideration of individual for many of their calculations. That's the whole basis of insurance. At some point they may understand the difference in a big picture view, but I doubt we are there yet with this tracking stuff. It will take time and lot of analysis.

History of accident's obviously is more important in terms of your overall cost. It's why my rates are still way higher than average even with the DS&D discount. Curious what you mean by 'consideration of individual'.

The way I see it, the idea of this program is to give me a chance to get a discount on already jacked up rates by atleast showing I'm not driving like a maniac after having been in an accident a few years ago. It's not a big discount, but it's something atleast. OP see my screenshot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190823-175559.png
    Screenshot_20190823-175559.png
    553.3 KB · Views: 824
My wife has a 2017 Honda Pilot and I have a 2018 Model 3. We have a combined 95% score on DS&S. On our most recent discounts posted, my wife’s car is getting the full 30% but my car is only getting 10%.
DSS is based on annual miles and how you drive. Ask your agent how many annual miles you show and I bet your wife is around 10,000 and you are 15,000 annual miles?

The only way we insurance companies CAN give any consideration to the individual is though these types of driving analysis (see how I avoided the word tracking:)) systems. Geico was really the last holdout on telematics rating, but they just decided to join in because they were getting stuck with the bad drivers (Buffett’s approximate words). Very soon (within probably 2 years) you will see insurance rates rise sharply. Those that signup to have their driving style monitored AND drive like they should will see big discounts. Those that don’t signup will be considered bigger risks and pay through the nose.

Your insurance rate is based on how likely you are to have a claim and how much that claim will cost. Once you can prove you are less likely to have a claim, your rate can go down through discounts.

Reactions: jdcollins5
The only way we insurance companies CAN give any consideration to the individual is though these types of driving analysis (see how I avoided the word tracking:)) systems. Geico was really the last holdout on telematics rating, but they just decided to join in because they were getting stuck with the bad drivers (Buffett’s approximate words). Very soon (within probably 2 years) you will see insurance rates rise sharply. Those that signup to have their driving style monitored AND drive like they should will see big discounts. Those that don’t signup will be considered bigger risks and pay through the nose.

Your insurance rate is based on how likely you are to have a claim and how much that claim will cost. Once you can prove you are less likely to have a claim, your rate can go down through discounts.

I guess you also believe people should have to submit genetic risk factors, blood tests, etc for medical insurance rates? The whole point of insurance (aside from the insurance company to make money) is to spread the risk to everyone and spread the burden.

• Disagree
Reactions: trm2 and KerryOH
People should have the option of turning those things in if it can prove they are lower risk and should pay less. It would be different if they required that info or if SF required the monitoring. It’s an option to lower your rate if you choose. Or you can take the average like everyone else.

People should have the option of turning those things in if it can prove they are lower risk and should pay less. It would be different if they required that info or if SF required the monitoring. It’s an option to lower your rate if you choose. Or you can take the average like everyone else.

SF uses the prior 6 months driving data for the next 6 months discounts. You always have option of removing the token.

For those that have a problem with SF tracking you, someone pointed out that Tesla and the app are tracking you!

I guess you also believe people should have to submit genetic risk factors, blood tests, etc for medical insurance rates? The whole point of insurance (aside from the insurance company to make money) is to spread the risk to everyone and spread the burden.
I’m not advocating the driving monitoring (I don’t use it) and it is nothing like health insurance testing, I’m simply stating that is where things are going. Talk to auto claims reps, they know a lot of customers by name. It is the same people that keep getting into accidents, a behavior that can be modified. Genetic predisposition to something isn’t controllable at all. That is comparing apples and planets.

The whole point of insurance (aside from the insurance company to make money) is supposed to be to spread the risk to everyone and spread the burden.

Fixed it for you.

I probably need to clarify my original post a bit. What I'm saying is that even with telemetrics the insurance company still doesn't get a full picture of someone's likelihood of getting in a accident. Here's an example: Driver A is pretty aggressive, accelerates hard, corners hard, changes lane often, but hasn't ever been in an at fault accident. Driver B is my mother: Drives slow, doesn't pass, but she in reality backed into someone and ran into a tree on the side of the road for no apparent reason. Now, the B drivers will probably look great on telemetrics without consideration of driving history and statistically I think we can all agree that as a group aggressive drivers are going to get into more accidents. However, there is a subgroup within that group that is probably much more aware of their surroundings, knows the limits of their machine, doesn't get tickets and knows when it's OK to be aggressive and when it's not. The insurance companies can't make that fine of a distinction. So, even the subgroup of "experts" is going to pay more, but probably shouldn't.

Reactions: Ejl80