Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stated Range vs Real World

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just done some quick calcs, based on a round trip from Loughborough to Frome, then to Hayes, Tooting, and back to Loughborough.

This is a 397 miles round trip, and my calculations based on what percentage I started with (100%), what percentage was left when I stopped at a Supercharger (Amesbury, 40% remaining, 160 miles covered) and what percentage was left at the end after leaving said supercharger at 90% (20% remaining when arriving home, 237 miles covered), leaves me with approx 3 miles per percentage point, or approx 300 miles total range.

This is in a 2021 LR with aero wheels, sticking at the speed limits all the way, heating on, music on, lights on. Temps approx 7-11 celcius.

Seems pretty good to me...

At your 340wh/m that’s about 3 miles/kwh so should be 230 miles. Should be easy enough in warmer weather to get 4m/kwh which would be 300 miles

worst case as an estimate though (and with some leeway) 2 miles/% sounds good
I’m getting that on these short journeys, couple miles per 1%

On the face of it then, doesn’t seem like there’s anything untoward going on consumption wise, just the short journeys and fairly cold start car

But that’s the point though, all short journeys. Stretch it’s legs from 100% over 200 miles and you’ll see very different numbers, assuming you take it easy with the go pedal and stick to posted limits.
Last Wednesday I charged to 100%. Had a 135 mile each way trip. Knew I wouldn't make it without a charge - that's fine.
But after 135 miles, I was showing 31%. That's with TACC @ 75, climate at 20 at heated seats for 3.

At the risk of you feeling I'm being unnecessarily aggressive again, there is no way I could get anywhere close to @chris_pople 's figures unless I was doing 45mph in a vacuum. And if this thread has shown anything, it's first - as I said a few posts ago - just how different 2 cars that look pretty similar on paper really are and second, how the reported experiences of actual owners of LRs and Ps are more useful than guesses/wishful thinking from someone who doesn't own either. Frankly I find the fact my experience of P range isn't an outlier to be quite reassuring....

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Last Wednesday I charged to 100%. Had a 135 mile each way trip. Knew I wouldn't make it without a charge - that's fine.
But after 135 miles, I was showing 31%. That's with TACC @ 75, climate at 20 at heated seats for 3.

At the risk of you feeling I'm being unnecessarily aggressive again, there is no way I could get anywhere close to @chris_pople 's figures unless I was doing 45mph in a vacuum. And if this thread has shown anything, it's first - as I said a few posts ago - just how different 2 cars that look pretty similar on paper really are and second, how the reported experiences of actual owners of LRs and Ps are more useful than guesses/wishful thinking from someone who doesn't own either. Frankly I find the fact my experience of P range isn't an outlier to be quite reassuring....
20C for internal + 3 heated seats? do you have your heater and heated seats on during the summer as well?! because from my POV you are keeping your car extremely warm... it should feel like sitting in sauna.
I usually keep it at 20C and it is more than enough.

what I learned from reading, that keeping car inside at ~18-19 + heated seats helps to save battery on the pre-heat pump vehicles. after heatpump - not such a massive impact. but still, you are using shed loads of heating in your car... why doubling it??

You’ll probably be increasing your consumption by a good 10% by driving at 75 vs 70. Going faster also means more changes of speed as you’ll be slowing more often as you catch up slower moving traffic in front and building up speed again as it clears.

Driving style within that can make a huge impact too.

20C for internal + 3 heated seats? do you have your heater and heated seats on during the summer as well?! because from my POV you are keeping your car extremely warm... it should feel like sitting in sauna.
I usually keep it at 20C and it is more than enough.

what I learned from reading, that keeping car inside at ~18-19 + heated seats helps to save battery on the pre-heat pump vehicles. after heatpump - not such a massive impact. but still, you are using shed loads of heating in your car... why doubling it??
I like a hot bot.

Off topic, I’ve just seen from the Tessie app that my car used 0.5KWh on Climate, whilst just sitting idly on my drive!

Something up here if it’s randomly turning on climate. No wonder I’m losing energy.
Have you got any Tessie automation running? I can't recall ever hearing of the climate turning on by itself.

Oh, have you got cabin overheat protection on? That can also keep the car awake. Curious to know how Tessie measure climate use. Can you share a graph ( I like data :))

Have you got any Tessie automation running? I can't recall ever hearing of the climate turning on by itself.

Oh, have you got cabin overheat protection on? That can also keep the car awake. Curious to know how Tessie measure climate use. Can you share a graph ( I like data :))
Here you go mate

Yes I do have the overheat enabled. You advise to disable that yeh?

Attachments

• 81F872F6-58C9-40BB-A83E-F4A13EA8EEB9.png
    81F872F6-58C9-40BB-A83E-F4A13EA8EEB9.png
    178.8 KB · Views: 82
Off topic, I’ve just seen from the Tessie app that my car used 0.5KWh on Climate, whilst just sitting idly on my drive!

Something up here if it’s randomly turning on climate. No wonder I’m losing energy.

It does lots of clever management of heat via the octovalve I believe ... apparently when you stop the car it will use your battery as a thermal heat store so any heat from electronics or in the cabin will be pumped around accordingly. This then works in your favour when starting your subsequent drive, rather than the cabin heat, for instance, just dissipating through the glass and being lost to the atmosphere. It may have "cost" 0.5Kwh but if it allows you to save more than that on the next drive you are winning. Someone posted a link to a Youtube description of how it all works.

Yesterday I did a trip in my M3P 2020 model. 4 up with the car laden with holiday gear, I went from Ashford, Kent to the Amesbury supercharger and used 50% battery to do the 133 miles. Not bad for 7c (although not particularly cold). Pretty pleased with that I was trying to see what was possible. That was 70mph and heating on 19c in manual on fan speed 2. All time average over 21000 odd miles is 296m/kWh.

Yesterday I did a trip in my M3P 2020 model. 4 up with the car laden with holiday gear, I went from Ashford, Kent to the Amesbury supercharger and used 50% battery to do the 133 miles. Not bad for 7c (although not particularly cold). Pretty pleased with that I was trying to see what was possible. That was 70mph and heating on 19c in manual on fan speed 2. All time average over 21000 odd miles is 296m/kWh.
Hoping I get similar on my next trip up Scotland

One thing I did notice, noticed that the Tessie app was not allowing my car to sleep, especially after plugging in the charger cable on an early evening after the school run. Car would remain awake right the way through the night, even after taking its charge in the early hours. Tessie app is now gone.

Reactions: init6
Weighing in on this thread from my trip yesterday. I charged to 250 before I left and was highway driving 97% of this section of the trip. Used the heat about 70% of the time as outdoor temp was 41. Averaged about 72 mph and here is what the 90kwh pack showed after 150 miles. 1C633E4A-D2C5-45F4-9516-3B685CE8F66C.jpeg342D11A0-B270-4DCE-8CC6-E07E706CF874.jpegE7A66677-0614-44C2-8180-889D28C3154A.jpeg