Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Static shock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The static that builds up on her will include her hair. Everyhithing (hair and body) has the same charge, so the hair strands are being repelled (from her body and from each other).

This is exactly the same as when I demonstrate the VdG generator at school. There is nothing attracting, it is all repelling.

Apart from the cars I’ve owned with leather seats, all my other cars have given me static to a greater/lesser degree. But it is generally the combination of materials, duration of the journey and the level of humidity in the air that determines the extent (between the occasional tingling feeling to seeing a bright spark at night)
Ok, so the static is definitely built up in the person then. So there must be something different about the grounding in the car, either the material or construction of the door, or how it’s attached to the body, or how the body is connected to the battery.

Ok, so the static is definitely built up in the person then. So there must be something different about the grounding in the car, either the material or construction of the door, or how it’s attached to the body, or how the body is connected to the battery.
Static build up in the car is nothing to do with the battery… low or high voltage. It is the same source as any other car being from dissimilar materials rubbing together.

Reactions: Xdama
Static build up in the car is nothing to do with the battery… low or high voltage. It is the same source as any other car being from dissimilar materials rubbing together.
So where is the static grounding to? It can’t be going to the actual ground as the tyres will prevent that. Maybe it just get absorbed into the whole car body, like the static discharge keyrings you can get?

Various car cleaners and treatments have anti static properties to stop/reduce dust attraction. I use 303 Aerospace Protectant on the seats. I use it mainly to give a nice finish on the black seats and for its UV resistance but it also has anti static qualities. I’m sure there will be other stuff that works similarly.