Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Still fairly new on the site but I really appreciate all the responses to my previous queries.

I have a question about the steering modes. When I test drove the model S, I really liked the sport mode steering. It was a 85D. Later, I placed an order for a 75 and I got it about 3 weeks ago. I set the steering to sport mode. There was a difference between the modes but the sport just didn't feel as rigid. The 85D had reminded me a bit of a BMW 3 series I used to own but my 75 didn't. Today, I had to get some alignment issues fixed at the tesla approved body shop (delivery issues) and tesla gave me a loaner (again 85D). The steering in sport mode is exactly like the test drive car but quite different from mine. Is there some problem with steering mode selection of my car or is the difference due more to the fact that mine is not dual motor? My car feels like standard mode even when I select sport. It feels a little heavier in sport than standard or comfort but not as much as the two 85D's I've driven. Any thoughts?

Could be due to the differences in rim, type and tyre perssure. Does your car have the 21' rim vs the test car / loaner (or vice versa)? Otherwise the electrical steering weight is artificially created through varying level of servo resistance, programable to be the same on similarly spec vehicles.

Overall I found it to be pretty precise and direct for such a large car, but numb like an Audi... it's not as tactile as my old BMW but that's hydraulic so not comparing apple to apple. Though it's tighter than a Pana Hybrid I test drove earlier which is saying a lot about the engineering effort going into tuning it by Lotus I recalled.