Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering rack on earlier Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are the steering rack/feel different on the earlier Model X. I am driving a signature loaner now, the steering feels super dead to me. It's like there is barely any resistance on it, even in sport. Tesla must have made something dramatic to make something that much different than the cars now.

Also does anyone know what the difference is between Insane and Insane+? I don't think the car has ludicrous mode

Are the steering rack/feel different on the earlier Model X. I am driving a signature loaner now, the steering feels super dead to me. It's like there is barely any resistance on it, even in sport. Tesla must have made something dramatic to make something that much different than the cars now.

Also does anyone know what the difference is between Insane and Insane+? I don't think the car has ludicrous mode

Same on my april 17 msp100d with air suspension: Steering wheel feel on older model s was better. Don’t know about latest raven update.

Yes, the steering rack is different on early Model X. I don't know exactly when it changed, but I've seen reference to the "AP2 rack" so it is possible it changed in tandem with the upgrade to AP2.5. I can confirm that my AP 2.5 (from right when 2.5 came out) steering is heavier than I like even in comfort, but I'm relatively OK with normal or even sport in any AP 2.0 X I've driven (of which there have been at least 2).

Starting with AP2 there was dual EPAS, AP1 was single. So I would guess the change over is AP1 vs AP2 X.
I think this is spot on, I forgot there were AP1 X, so I was thinking the two I drove were AP2, but they were AP1.
Signature is ap1. If you take a turn in this car, there is a dead spot you can feel in the steering that would make the whee wobble back and forth. It’s like driving with bad ball joint!
That sounds like a problematic and repairable issue, I have not experienced that in any X that I have driven, regardless of AP version.