Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Steering Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And I have to say, the change in ratio doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me in this car compared to my '72 MLR
I agree it's a small amount but I noticed it.
It might depend how you drive it, I like more responsiveness and small quick movements. It's not deal-breaker bad, just not as engaging as my 2020. A small degree.

Someone on this forum said they prefer the new ratio as the old one was too responsive to small changes so maybe Tesla are smoothing it for the masses/comfort/ease of use etc.

Actually I never confirmed whether that ratio change was across all models. I only drove a standard range. Would love to know, I assume it is.

I've not looked at what this offset does or is changed - whether it's an automatic process or what. All I know is that it had a value and now it is zero!
It's the value calculated when you carry out the EPAS check or just drive for a while (after resetting it). If your steering wheel isn't absolutely straight when the car is going straight ahead, it needs to know that so that autopilot/FSD works correctly.
It's quite common for the offset to be a few degrees one way or the other and most drivers won't even notice the wheel being off by a couple of degrees. Any more than that and the car needs an alignment.
If yours is actually 0 after you've driven it a while then it looks like they've got your alignment bang on (which is a pleasant surprise TBH!).

Reactions: wow400
I agree it's a small amount but I noticed it.
It might depend how you drive it, I like more responsiveness and small quick movements. It's not deal-breaker bad, just not as engaging as my 2020. A small degree.

Someone on this forum said they prefer the new ratio as the old one was too responsive to small changes so maybe Tesla are smoothing it for the masses/comfort/ease of use etc.

Actually I never confirmed whether that ratio change was across all models. I only drove a standard range. Would love to know, I assume it is.
The thing is, the ratio change in isolation may not be noticed by many, but an alignment change can make a car feel more or less responsive to small steering inputs, so that could have been what they felt more than the ratio change. And everything else would need to be equal - tyre type, tread depth, pressures, etc etc.
I think there's a good chance the new M3P will have a quicker rack but as none have been delivered yet we don't know. The current P is 10:1 I believe. Some drivers have complained that's too quick, but you can't please all the people all of the time. :rolleyes: