Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering 'tug' under full throttle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I'm curious if anyone else gets this. I have an M3 Performance, and under full throttle the sterring 'tugs' a little, almost feels like torque steer. It only happens when I properly floor the loud pedal.

My guess is that is exactly what it is. My understanding is that Dual Motor cars utilize the rear motor almost exclusively at lower throttle settings.

Have you ever tried steering a 4WD truck or ATV/Side-by-Side when under full throttle where the tires start to slip? It's physics in action and is completely normal. Your Tesla has enough power to cause the tires to slip on asphalt.

I have not noticed that, nor did I in my P85DL. However, when using full acceleration the cars are very sensitive to road imperfections so those feel very much like torque steer. FWIW, in 4WD Porsche I had much the same experience.

Of course, there could be a problem. On one of my 4WD Porsche a wheel bearing began to fail, which I perceived as serious torque steer. Luckily that was replaced before i had a more serious problem.

Hi all,

I'm curious if anyone else gets this. I have an M3 Performance, and under full throttle the sterring 'tugs' a little, almost feels like torque steer. It only happens when I properly floor the loud pedal.
I think I've noticed similar ( and had a short thread about it months ago). It's not really torque steer, cause that would have a consistent direction. What I experience is random steering tugs going left/right depending on circumstances. I think there's something funky going on with the front suspension when it unloads under hard acceleration. Maybe a large toe-out, which makes the car overly sensitive to road surface changes.

I think I've noticed similar ( and had a short thread about it months ago). It's not really torque steer, cause that would have a consistent direction. What I experience is random steering tugs going left/right depending on circumstances. I think there's something funky going on with the front suspension when it unloads under hard acceleration. Maybe a large toe-out, which makes the car overly sensitive to road surface changes.

That's it exactly - thanks. I m' going to have my 4 wheel alignment set up by a company I know and trust. Let's see what happens.