Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, with winter approaching, and wearing jackets with zippers, I've managed to damage my steering wheel. Anyone submit an "autorise" option on the steering wheel as a feature request? It would be nice to rise when the car is put into park or the door is opened. I'm including a picture. I suppose people in CA and southern states don't have the issue so that kind of request would get ignored.

Attachments

• IMG_2527.JPG
    IMG_2527.JPG
    178.3 KB · Views: 146
Anyone submit an "autorise" option on the steering wheel as a feature request? It would be nice to rise when the car is put into park or the door is opened. I'm including a picture. I suppose people in CA and southern states don't have the issue so that kind of request would get ignored.
You can use the Easy Entry profile and have it raise the steering wheel when you put the car into Park and unbuckle the seat belt. Although I'm not sure even raising the steering wheel the maximum amount would have prevented the damage you pictured from occurring.

The funny thing is that I used to read the manual when it was printed out for all 16 of my previous cars. But when it's only in electronic form, it's hard to bring it with you to read on the toilet. But, you know, keep thinking you're better than everyone else.

The funny thing is that I used to read the manual when it was printed out for all 16 of my previous cars. But when it's only in electronic form, it's hard to bring it with you to read on the toilet. But, you know, keep thinking you're better than everyone else.
You can print out the PDF from here for a hardcopy version:
https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/Model 3 Owners Manual.pdf

Check back periodically for any updates. The publication date is near the bottom of the back cover page.

• Informative
Reactions: Skione65
Point taken....and no I’m FAR from better than everyone else. But PLEASE......when you say you’re pissed because the car “should have a feature” that when the car is put into park and the door is opened the steering wheel should ‘auto rise’ as an option...and because the car doesn’t have that feature THATS why the steering wheel got scratched....WELL the car does just that. I have to just shake my head. My first suggestion would be to read the manual....that will save you some future heartache down the road with your new vehicle. Enjoy!

Ski

Well, obviously not better for the OP since he said he wanted a printed copy as with his previous vehicles rather than in electronic form, which I think would apply to viewing on tablet, phone, PC or the car's screen. ;)

I thought he was implying it would be tedious to read in the car. If he's posting on the forum I assume he's comfortable with electronic viewing elsewhere.

Like most complex products especially those with tech in them, reading the manual will give one insights into so many things about the product. Who would have known. And no, while getting an intro to our Model S and Model 3 purchases in the last two years the DA/DS (or whatever their title is) doesn't go over the whole manual with you at time of delivery even when they spend a half hour with you. They cover the basics and of course you can ask questions. Blaming Tesla for a steering wheel being damaged by a jacket zipper is pretty lame. Also Teslas sell really well in cold northern climates here in the U.S., Canada and in European countries like Norway, so the comment about a requested feature for jacket wearers likely falling on deaf ears at Tesla is also pretty lame.

The fact that a number of cellphones get dropped in toilets (LOL including hearing this from a friend who dropped her's in) I think shows that people do read material on their cellphones while on the toilet, however I agree it is much more convenient to read such on a laptop or tablet. Manuals in electronic form is the way most product manuals are presented these days and given Tesla makes improvement changes to its vehicles on an ongoing basis, it's probably the best way to address a manual these days. Documents in .pdf format also have search capabilities, so easy enough to type in "steering wheel" (adjusting the steering wheel on cars with the PUP package is on Page 41 of the latest 11/12/18 Model 3 manual BTW).

• Love
Reactions: Skione65