Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I'm wanting to put a leather steering wheel cover on my 2022 Model 3 (like in the pictures of my Honda).
I've done this on my sons' Honda's but their steering wheels were all rubber/plastic and didn't have an original cover with stitching like the Tesla.
Does anyone know what's underneath the vinyl steering wheel cover? Will I have to take the vinyl off before sewing on a real leather cover?

20200901_135754[1].jpg
image000001[1].jpg

Hi all,

I'm wanting to put a leather steering wheel cover on my 2022 Model 3 (like in the pictures of my Honda).
I've done this on my sons' Honda's but their steering wheels were all rubber/plastic and didn't have an original cover with stitching like the Tesla.
Does anyone know what's underneath the vinyl steering wheel cover? Will I have to take the vinyl off before sewing on a real leather cover?

View attachment 835762View attachment 835763
I tried different covers, but all were too small.

The leater width was too narrow and I was not able to do the steaching, especialy around the left and right wheel arms.​
See below Amazon links, even the 'D' and 'XX' size were too small.​

- I would recommend going to a Cobbler store and get a custom size cover.

I tried different covers, but all were too small.

The leater width was too narrow and I was not able to do the steaching, especialy around the left and right wheel arms.​
See below Amazon links, even the 'D' and 'XX' size were too small.​

- I would recommend going to a Cobbler store and get a custom size cover.
I've always bought the Honda ones from Ebay and they've been great. They have them for the Model 3, should be made custom. I'm just wondering if I have to take off the vinyl one that's there.

I've always bought the Honda ones from Ebay and they've been great. They have them for the Model 3, should be made custom. I'm just wondering if I have to take off the vinyl one that's there.

@tapau I orderd the steering wheel cover from the e-Bay that you mentioned.

I installed it and it was a perfect fit.
It looks very nice and a little bit like a sport car steering wheel.
I like the perforated leater at the location where you hold most of the time the steering wheel.

20220911_184106.jpg 20220911_184156.jpg 20220911_184251.jpg 20220911_184259.jpg

This DIY kit included two needles, two black spool of thread (I used only one), a double side tape (but didn't use it)
and also a nice nylon scraper which was very useful to push the leather cover under the three branches of the steering wheel .

20220908_201548.jpg20220909_110402.jpg

@tapau I orderd the steering wheel cover from the e-Bay that you mentioned.

I installed it and it was a perfect fit.
It looks very nice and a little bit like a sport car steering wheel.
I like the perforated leater at the location where you hold most of the time the steering wheel.

View attachment 851625 View attachment 851626 View attachment 851627 View attachment 851628

This DIY kit included two needles, two black spool of thread (I used only one), a double side tape (but didn't use it)
and also a nice nylon scraper which was very useful to push the leather cover under the three branches of the steering wheel .

View attachment 851629View attachment 851624
LOOKS BEAUTIFUL !!!!! I'm glad this worked out for you, I'm going to order. Did you just install over the original vinyl or did you take the vinyl off?

LOOKS BEAUTIFUL !!!!! I'm glad this worked out for you, I'm going to order. Did you just install over the original vinyl or did you take the vinyl off?
Yes, I put over the original leather (my 2018 has leather, not vinyl), but the perforated vinyl is much nice to hold.
If you have white seats, may be you could request getting the perforated white.
(See this $700 steering wheel)

20220907_112214.jpg

There was no instructions included, but I had those pamphlet from a previous install:

Attachments

• Steering Wheel Cover - SuperSkin p1 .jpg
    Steering Wheel Cover - SuperSkin p1 .jpg
    729.7 KB · Views: 305
  • Steering Wheel Cover - SuperSkin p2 .jpg
    Steering Wheel Cover - SuperSkin p2 .jpg
    744 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Reactions: Cypcode and tapau