Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stereo Upgrade ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just binge watching those vids :)

ok so my obvious question is ... this is an $850 speaker set. It replaces 8 of the 16 speakers and doesnt upgrade the amp.

Has anyone installed this (that isnt incentivized by Light Harmonics) ? If so what are the thoughts on it ? Would of been nice had the installer performed an audio comparison test using equipment to measure the harmonic range of OEM vs these so we could see some empirical data.

$850 is alot to pay for a speaker upgrade and no amps. but im very intrigued by the plug/play aspect of this. I could prob finish the install myself in less than 2 hours. I lJust wonder if I would notice the difference much ($850 much)... wouldnt a true audio system upgrade require a more powerful amp(s) ?

Ive seen/held the OEM Tesla front door woofers 1st hand. They are cheap paper cones, definitely nothing special (which is why I even started to think about audio upgrades). I wonder what changing the woofer material to CF does (other than maybe prolong life).

Any honest reviews are much appreciated, Im seriously considering this. I also saw on youtube how some other companies have installed more custom systems with Focal speakers + amps but no idea how they integrated with the factory system...

Last edited:
@a2t2 I'm no audio expert and I've never heard the Light Harmonic system other than in YouTube videos. Changing out the amps would indeed make a difference, particularly if you're looking for louder output, or cleaner output at an equivalent volume level. I remember when I was more into audio systems a number of years ago, a rule of thumb was that if your amp(s) could put out double what your speakers could handle, you'd only ever be running them at relatively low output levels (relative to the amp's max capabilities) and therefore getting a cleaner signal.

That said, I think the overall consideration is that the drivers are what produce the majority of the sound signature you're hearing. I remember reading discussions around headphone amps for example, and they would inevitably circle back around to the conclusion that if you aren't happy with your headphone's sound signature, the best bang for your buck was to use different headphones rather than trying to change out the amplification (etc). Your mileage and preferences will of course vary.

I suspect the speaker swaps would have a noticeable improvement in SQ due to improved rigidity of the cone, bigger magnets, and so on. I would doubt it's night and day but I guess you could start with the speaker swap and then maybe look at amplification after if you're still unhappy?

Reactions: a2t2
I have the Light Harmonic speakers and Steg tweeters installed in my model 3.
60823960-1976-4825-A4F6-5C4139EB04B3.jpeg

Reactions: a2t2
ok so ... I got it all yesterday from amazon.

I ordered the Model 3 version from LH because after some research I figured out that ALL these 8 speakers are identical in 3 and Y, and the price for the 3 was $75 less. Maybe they made some improvement to warrant that $75 but I saved the $$.

initial inspection - the LH speakers are pretty nice to look at. Good build quality nice carbon cones and poly surrounds, should hold up well for years in moisture. I weighed each speaker and compared to OEM, not sure that means anything but the LH sub weighed 1020 g vs Tesla 895. Door speakers weighed 575 g vs Tesla 510 g. And the dash/rear hatch weighed 170g vs Tesla 150g. Not a huge difference but some. The magnets on the LH speakers seemed slightly larger.

Install wasnt too bad, the dash 1s are definitely the pain to get those stupid screws out. Get a tool or something for those. I really like how LH speakers have a longer wire lead, made it simple to plug/play those back in.

Sound wise ... yes its definitely an improvement over the already good base system. Its louder in every aspect. Louder highs, louder lows, louder mids. The stiffer cones are just pushing more air, and harder. You have to adjust the EQ down some from the base system settings. Its louder but just as clean, not distorting unless you really get a bass heavy song and push the bass all the way up. even then, it holds up pretty well until ear bleed volume. The highs sound like the range has gone up considerably, I had to push down the treble some at high volume levels.

I will keep driving these for a bit and report back again, but initial 1 hour listening time review is these are very good. They are plug/play, fit perfect and a decent upgrade over stock. $824 is super pricey but for 8 carbon speakers, prob not too far off what you would pay for high end speakers anyway. These definitely could handle more than the stock amp so its kind of sad that you cant really drive / over-drive these with the factory amp. The door speakers sitting right up against your leg really push a decent bass response you can feel.

Overall, nice stereo upgrade, would be sweet if we could also find an upgraded amp to push these a bit harder to really make them work.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    456.6 KB · Views: 188
Last edited: