Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone unhappy with update 2023.44.30.6?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, I have been finding the alternate routes quite annoying. I like to see route options at the beginning, but I do not find it helpful to continually giving me “options” that take significantly longer and take me off the direct path. They clutter the screen. I would like a toggle on/off button for other route options. As is, I have been going into the navigation menu to toggle off the online routing after I have selected my route, losing out on something I would actually like to have - rerouting if traffic conditions change significantly.
The problem I had (and probably many others) was having it offer stupid route choices at the beginning, due to being mainly close to home. Now as long as it starts out in the general direction I want to go, I can update the route on the fly, with just a tap on the blue line. IMO, WAY better than editing the route on the fly. Now it is actually usable for local short trips, where I know the route I want to take. I'm talking about two mile trips to the gym, or grocery store. It is really easy to ignore the possibilities I am not interested in.

I must be an outlier here, but if I could go back and NOT install 2023.44.30.x, I would do just that. This is solely because of the latest NHTSA recall. I'm used to keeping my hands on the wheel now, even though I swear that keeps you less safe if you're around me on the road, but as of said latest recall, I now get red hands and two loud beeps pretty much immediately every time I engage FSD even though my hands are on the wheel. These beeps are incredibly loud compared to any other sound made since they finally got Joe Mode working right, because apparently these beeps ignore that setting. Also, before anyone tells me what the warning means, I'm well aware, I've had my X since 2017, but for whatever reason, my X requires an uncomfortable (for my RSI ailed hands) amount of torque to detect the hands (I've been putting up with this since the previous recalls), and trying to apply that amount of torque within milliseconds of engaging FSD would require me to be nearly exiting my lane when I engage, which I refuse to do, or immediately disengage FSD half the time (because while it takes so much torque that the vehicle jerks slightly to disengage once FSD is going, it takes almost none to disengage immediately after engagement), so I have to wait for and endure the beeps before applying the torque gently enough to usually not disengage. Separately, in spite of the comfort/safety complaints I have re: hands on the wheel even pre-FSDb, IMO, the best FSD experience I had was over a year ago now, and was only for one version, then they reverted to the crappy version which has continued getting worse since.

I must be an outlier here, but if I could go back and NOT install 2023.44.30.x, I would do just that. This is solely because of the latest NHTSA recall. I'm used to keeping my hands on the wheel now, even though I swear that keeps you less safe if you're around me on the road, but as of said latest recall, I now get red hands and two loud beeps pretty much immediately every time I engage FSD even though my hands are on the wheel. These beeps are incredibly loud compared to any other sound made since they finally got Joe Mode working right, because apparently these beeps ignore that setting. Also, before anyone tells me what the warning means, I'm well aware, I've had my X since 2017, but for whatever reason, my X requires an uncomfortable (for my RSI ailed hands) amount of torque to detect the hands (I've been putting up with this since the previous recalls), and trying to apply that amount of torque within milliseconds of engaging FSD would require me to be nearly exiting my lane when I engage, which I refuse to do, or immediately disengage FSD half the time (because while it takes so much torque that the vehicle jerks slightly to disengage once FSD is going, it takes almost none to disengage immediately after engagement), so I have to wait for and endure the beeps before applying the torque gently enough to usually not disengage. Separately, in spite of the comfort/safety complaints I have re: hands on the wheel even pre-FSDb, IMO, the best FSD experience I had was over a year ago now, and was only for one version, then they reverted to the crappy version which has continued getting worse since.
You are not. This is the first update that we haven't processed in our history of owning Teslas going back to some pretty sketch updates.

In all of the years there were some updates that were very polarizing that we didn't find that impactful and applied them. This is the first time where I find myself sort of stuck in the current state of firmware and dreading the day that Teslas randomly forces the update. This is a pretty sucky thing for a vehicle built in 2023 to be "stuck" in time in a certain firmware version years ahead of when the actual development of said software would start to decline.

Autopilot has become needlessly complex which decreases safety. I'm only glad I didn't pay the $15k and this is going to be yet another data point for consideration when it comes time to buy another car. Even now, I was looking at a Plaid but am hesitant to invest another six figures in this company as the # of pros previously compared to other options continues to dwindle. Breaking Autopilot is a pretty major one for our use.