Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sticky charger port in cold weather?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this unique to me? When it gets below 40 degrees, it starts to stick, and today at 25 F it took a great deal of effort to remove it.

I've been through this twice with Tesla Service, and they're acting like it's either imaginary or normal.

I've got the standard Tesla charger wired at my house, and the car and the charger live outside... we're in the NYC area.

Any experiences? Perhaps a magical lube I could consider?

Thanks.

Is this unique to me? When it gets below 40 degrees, it starts to stick, and today at 25 F it took a great deal of effort to remove it.

I've been through this twice with Tesla Service, and they're acting like it's either imaginary or normal.

I've got the standard Tesla charger wired at my house, and the car and the charger live outside... we're in the NYC area.

Any experiences? Perhaps a magical lube I could consider?

Thanks.
This does not sound normal. I've had zero issues plugging in or unplugging anywhere from 0 degrees to 110 degrees. If there is ice then obviously I've got to give it a tug to get it out, but that's ice, not just cold temps.

I'm in Chicago and I've noticed the same thing. The car is garaged at both work and home, so ice isn't an issue. This is my second MS but the second winter I've had with this vehicle and I never remember it happening on my previous MS or this one. Probably COVID

I applied a little Gummi Pfledge Stift to the outside of my charger "wand". Seemed to have helped a ton - my wife usually charges the X and said it's a night and day difference.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004B8GTQG/

ps - this stuff is great - I use it on my window gaskets so they don't stick in the winter. Figured it couldn't hurt the charger!

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and blitzpa