Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stop locking my vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Make a new used called "garage mode" and turn off walkaway locking for that user.

All you have to do is choose that user when you get out. You'll get in the habit of doing it. Works great.

I've seen this workaround suggested before and glad it works for people. However, for me, the hassle of having to switch profiles every.single.time upon arriving and leaving my garage would far exceed the annoyance finding the car locked when I don't have my phone on me. It only took a few weeks at the beginning and it's long since been habit to just grab the phone on the way to the car. I guess if you're going in and out of your car all the time at home, it might be worth it.

Maybe one day Tesla will finally give us the "disable walkaway lock at home" feature that so many of us have wanted since the car was released.

Its a good think he didn't read the manual right?
:)
Does the manual specifically address how to disable walk away locking only while in your garage? Seemed pretty obvious that's what OP was after.

Does anyone know if there is a way to keep my Model 3 from locking when it is parked in my garage? It's so annoying when I go out to the car to get something, but don't have my phone on me.
Welcome to the forum! If you're good with coding, there's probably a way to do this (or have someone do it) with the un-official API. I used to have an iPad on my counter that had an "unlock Tesla" button on it for my kids to use when they needed to get their backpack that they forgot in the car. This kept them from needing to find my key.

Reactions: Akikiki
On this topic, is there any way to extend the time before the car locks?

Here is my scenario: Put car in park, step out, walk to front of the car to grab the power plug, car locks.

This is in no way a big deal for me, but I find it strange that the car locks itself before I plug it in, or actually “walk away.” My phone is in my pocket the whole time, and I never get more than 2-3 feet from the vehicle. Maybe 10 seconds elapse for the whole scenario.

Perhaps I wrongly assumed, but I thought the Lock on Walk Away feature was based on proximity to the phone/fob? The vehicle does not lock itself when using the Keycard. BTW, my phone rarely dips below 80% charge.

I read the entire manual (took a week), but didn’t see anything of this nature.