Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stop making excuses for Tesla!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To the OP, Gasoline cars DO burst into flame sometimes from running over debris in the road. A notorious case was in 1994 near Milwaukee, WI. A family van ran over a mudflap/taillight assembly. The debris pierced the gas tank and six members of the family died in the explosion/fire! Minister, Wife In Van Crash Leave Flock For A New Life - Chicago Tribune This does not make your issues with Tesla any different but no protection is absolute. How much is enough protection is open for discussion.

Thumper - interesting that you bring this case up. This accident lead to a lengthy investigation that ultimately resulted in the conviction and incarceration of one of our governors. Our state has the notoriety of sending many governors to jail over the years (corruption is the biggest culprit).

Gas cars catch fire everyday in collisions and explode with deathly fury. There are over 150,000 car fires a year in the US. Last week a Porche Panamera hit a building in Seattle and exploded. Where was the national media scrutinizing the vehicle design?

Porsche driver charged in high-speed chase, fiery crash | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

...and BTW the Leaf doesn't catch on fire, because it doesn't have 85Kw batteries. I think it runs on 8 AA batteries.

17 car fires an hour in the US. Come on peoples... I'd still pick my Tesla over any other fire-ball making vehicle on the road.

Gas cars catch fire everyday in collisions and explode with deathly fury. There are over 150,000 car fires a year in the US....

17 car fires an hour in the US. Come on peoples... I'd still pick my Tesla over any other fire-ball making vehicle on the road.
Traffic reporters call them Car-B-Ques. A cute reference to a potentially deadly far to frequent occurrence.

@AllDigital Join our SoCal Tesla club for more friendly (fire) talk :)

The problem with this is the car was totaled in both cases. Thats 100k to replace it.
Dear "I think gasoline cars are flawless": What do you suppose happens when a Lexus or BMW's engine catches fire?

Answer: The car is Totaled and 100,000 down the drain.
A gasoline-powered car catches fire every 50 million miles of drive time. Teslas have caught fire on average every 200 million miles. i.e. The Tesla is still a safer place to put your money.

- - - Updated - - -

Raven5000 is clearly a master BAITER..... comes here, makes an accusation, and then never returns to read or reply to people's answers. I wonder if the guy even owns a Tesla, or if he just came here to stir-up trouble & laugh at the disruption he caused.

- - - Updated - - -

This accident lead to a lengthy investigation .
Raven5000 is clearly a forum BAITER..... comes here, makes an accusation, and then never returns to read or reply to people's answers. I wonder if the guy even owns a Tesla, or if he just came here to stir-up trouble & laugh at the disruption he caused.

- - - Updated - - -

GRRR.... how do I edit my posts to fix errors?

I think we're good now

Check out Elon's blog post - The Mission of Tesla | Blog | Tesla Motors

Your point about cost is relevant, but it has now been taken care of. Insurance companies won't have to raise rates because of this and fires are now covered under warranty.

I am a model s owner and a Tesla fan! But the way Tesla has handled the 2 fires due to road debris is unacceptable. I specifically asked about the protection of the battery being underneath the car before I even put my deposit down in June 2012. They assured me that it was very well protected so I believed what they told me. No doubt the car is extremely safe and it did what it was suppose to do. The problem with this is the car was totaled in both cases. Thats 100k to replace it. I'm very concerned with car insurance companies raising the rate for Tesla Model s owners. I'm also upset with fact that they continue to use the defense that electric cars are safer than gas cars. This may be but gas cars don't usually catch on fire from road debris they may get severely damaged but not totaled. I have a friend who's daughter ran over a huge debris going extremely fast in a BMW and the car did not catch on fire but it did wreck to the point where there was 10, 000 worth of damage but not the full cost of the car. In the recent firmware update of my Tesla Model S 5.8 the car no longer lowers when going faster than 55 which is not what I purchased. I think Tesla needs to reinforce the bottom of the model s with something stronger. If my car catches on fire I would advise my insurance company to give the Tesla the bill and replace under warranty.

I'm also dissapointed thats my car has needed to be in Service at least once to twice a month since I got it. I'm a Tesla fan but they need to be honest and take these problem head on and not ignore there customers.

If Elon and Tesla continue on this path I feel it could be the end of the company. I'm also an investor and have stood by the stock but I'm seriously thinking about selling it.

The point is we can't keep making excuses for them as much as we love the car and the company. I feel that running over debri shouldn't total a car. Just my opinion.

Check out Elon's blog post - The Mission of Tesla | Blog | Tesla Motors

Your point about cost is relevant, but it has now been taken care of. Insurance companies won't have to raise rates because of this and fires are now covered under warranty.

Yeah this is great news! I'm glad they finally responded to the situation. I still suspension back. Why do I have to wait until January and why is the suspension if there is no issue with the car? Anyway I love my car! I'm just worried about the company a little bit but I'm sure it will blow over. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Just like to say if I offended anyone I apologize but I felt as though Elon was ignoring a problem but now that he has said the car will be covered under warranty from fires which is a strong statement and reassures my beliefs in the company I feel better! :) Have a great day all and have fun in your Model S!