Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stopped at a stop light, various error messages pop on screen, and then the X is disabled.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still a bit flustered but thankfully I made it home safe. With a less than 2 weeks old 2018 Tesla Model X I am driving home from work in moderate traffic. Stopped at a stop light and suddenly various error messages show up on the dashboard screen. The message I recall seeing the most was 'stability control disabled' among some other messages. The car was then stuck on Park and I could not change to drive to move the car out of the way of traffic.

My big fear of reliability raced through my mind followed by various emotions including helplessness as I could not even get the car into neutral to push it to the side of the road and I felt like I was sitting on a big brick. I at least felt safe inside of the X with the Hazard lights on but traffic built up behind me followed by honking and not so kind words thrown my way. A kind lady pulled over to try and help me but she was just as perplexed trying to get the car into neutral/drive as the car was unresponsive.

I called Tesla from the car and they told me to first call 911 and then call them back once the police and a tow truck could be secured. Finally got back to calling Tesla after the police had arrived and asked Tesla if there was any way to get the X moving again out of the way of traffic. They walked me through the steering wheel reset (few seconds first followed by holding it down longer but neither reset worked). They then had me perform a complete shut down which took 2 minutes (but felt like forever as the Tesla lady counted down every 20 seconds...). I then had to open the drivers side door and then the X then powered back on. Had to unlock the car again with the key fob and then thankfully the car was able to move into drive out of the way of traffic as I parked it with my head shaking with a feeling of defeat.

Tesla acknowledged that they could see all the various error messages from their computer but could not figure out what actually triggered the errors. They said that the errors were now clear though and the car should be safe to drive. The soonest they said I could bring the car into be looked at was in 13 days...unfortunately 2 days after my family's scheduled road trip (with the X) from Northern California down to Southern California. They said they would assess and diagnose the errors on their side and provide me info in the next 4-5 days......They said their best guess for now was that I somehow lifted myself off of the seat and the car thought there was no driver in the car and it shut itself down as a safety precaution....??

I've read a lot prior to getting our X of the '1%' out there with various issues... prepared myself for the worst but was really hoping for the best. I totally love the X (of course when its actually working) and i'm just hoping and praying for reliability going forward.

TLDR - can anyone provide any info from experience or point me to a thread/videos (which I might have missed in my search) that had the same issue with several errors popping up and the car is essentially a brick?

Thanks in advance for any help and any reassurance as well is much needed. The family has no idea of this incident as I think its better not to freak them out until this is all figured first. My wife specifically wanted me to be the only driver of the X for the first few weeks to make sure i worked out any/all bugs first ...go figure....

• Informative
Reactions: TexasRat
While I can't say I've ever had that happen to me, I will say the occasional reboot isn't unheard of for us. Take a deep breath and remember you're essentially driving a computer on wheels.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff - when I was stuck that exact thought ran through my mind...I was stuck because I was basically sitting in a computer and I did not know the best way to ctrl-alt-delete my way to fix it. I just tried to recreate this issue again by driving around the neighborhood while my wife and kids were asleep with no success...or rather no error. *knock on wood this does not happen again but i'm thinking since neutral did not work, maybe 'tow mode' could have worked and i could have pushed the car to the side.

Last edited:
What were the manual steps to actually do a full 2 minute manual reset? I’m not saying they shouldn’t fix it, but it might a nice backup option in case it happens again. Though I hope it doesn’t!

Tesla roadside eventually had me perform the Power Off/Reset. They specifically told me to stay very still for 2 minutes while inside the car with the car powered off otherwise they said the car might wake up prematurely. It was surreal as I was quiet and still as can be in the car while i could hear every other car drive by honking their horns yelling a profanity or two. The Brake to restart did not work though and they had me open the drivers side door, close it, and finally press unlock on the key fob.

Power Off/Reset
Under Settings, E-Brake and Power Off. Power vehicle off, then use the brake to restart.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
I once had something similar to this happen to me at an intersection but it was my fault. I wanted to adjust the suspension setting and was at a long light so I put the car in Park. It would not go out of park after I made the adjustment and I sat through 3 lights trying various things to get it to go into Drive. Can't remember what I did to get it to respond but I will tell you I will never put it in Park again in traffic.:)

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
I once had something similar to this happen to me at an intersection but it was my fault. I wanted to adjust the suspension setting and was at a long light so I put the car in Park. It would not go out of park after I made the adjustment and I sat through 3 lights trying various things to get it to go into Drive. Can't remember what I did to get it to respond but I will tell you I will never put it in Park again in traffic.:)

Did you have any error messages popping up while you were in park or were you just temporarily stuck? I’ve seen some posts of others that put their cars into park intentionally at stop lights to do something and then they were stuck. In my case I was just in brake hold and the errors forced the car into Park.

Did you have any error messages popping up while you were in park or were you just temporarily stuck? I’ve seen some posts of others that put their cars into park intentionally at stop lights to do something and then they were stuck.
It's been awhile since it happened but I think I was just stuck. No error messages.

But the statement about moving in the seat was interesting. Perhaps I shifted in my seat enough to cause the car to think I had left the vehicle. That does not sound like your issue though since you actually got error messages.

Update - Tesla Roadside did follow up and called me back on Sunday 7/8 with information and said they wanted me to go ahead and bring the car in to a service center. They said they had information from their logs they wanted to forward to the service center to check out on Tuesday 7/10.

Reactions: rfmurphy81
Update - Brought in the X today as Roadside assistance had instructed but was sold by service that the issue is most likely connected to a firmware issue that the engineers are working on and should be resolved when the next firmware update is ready. They said since the issue has not returned since it happened Friday that the error alarms were false and the car is ok. They suggested I just bring the car back home and rest assured the car is ok. They said that they had one other car in as well for the same problem.

I ended up leaving the car there to take care of some other smaller check list items (trunk alignment, worn fwd seal, and rattling door) since I was there anyways. Out of Tesla loaners so I’m in an Audi Q5 for the next few days.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus and P85_DA
Update - Brought in the X today as Roadside assistance had instructed but was sold by service that the issue is most likely connected to a firmware issue that the engineers are working on and should be resolved when the next firmware update is ready. They said since the issue has not returned since it happened Friday that the error alarms were false and the car is ok. They suggested I just bring the car back home and rest assured the car is ok. They said that they had one other car in as well for the same problem.

I ended up leaving the car there to take care of some other smaller check list items (trunk alignment, worn fwd seal, and rattling door) since I was there anyways. Out of Tesla loaners so I’m in an Audi Q5 for the next few days.

sorry for your problems. scary to be just stuck like that.

the SC's response doesn't very reassuring to me. pretty much they don't know what happened and are hoping it doesn't happen again.

Update - picked the car up today from the service center. Similar to another thread (user tangerine) the description of work showed the correction as a replacement of the Steering Column control. The diagnosis was that "the lower trim surrounding the upper part of the steering column was catching on the steering column control module which caused a shroud to bend in a way that the X lost its ability to communicate the steering angle"....thus causing the car to throw a fit with error messages and having the car stuck on park. Hopefully that's the last I see of this issue. Road trip coming up with the family soon and hoping for a successful drive to clear my mind and get back to enjoying the ride.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus