Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Storm Watch Activated in SF East Bay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, reached down to this area as well. Decided charge battery up faster than solar could so I also turned on SW even after the previous experience. At first it looked funny that the rate of battery charge was at 6.7 kW and SW was not showing up. Took some screen shots to show but a number of minutes later SW showed up. Just interesting that the charging showed up earlier than the SW appeared on the app.

Yep, reached down to this area as well. Decided charge battery up faster than solar could so I also turned on SW even after the previous experience. At first it looked funny that the rate of battery charge was at 6.7 kW and SW was not showing up. Took some screen shots to show but a number of minutes later SW showed up. Just interesting that the charging showed up earlier than the SW appeared on the app.
Agreed. The Storm Watch indicators did not show up immediately, but the power flow chart indicated that charging started and stopped in less than 5 seconds for me when I toggled it on and off.

I also discovered that this time toggling SW off worked flawlessly. By the time it took to go from that screen to the power flow screen the grid stopped sending power to the batteries. Rather quick.

This is a significant (positive) change from last year when it could take tens of minutes for Stormwatch toggles to take effect.

Bruce.

I also discovered that this time toggling SW off worked flawlessly. By the time it took to go from that screen to the power flow screen the grid stopped sending power to the batteries. Rather quick.
Interesting to see how many times you can do this. A few events ago after the third toggle it stopped working. While the app would toggle on and off it still kept me in SW until the NWS period was over.

Could have been a fluke or maybe Tesla has an algorithm that limits your toggle requests.

Interesting to see how many times you can do this. A few events ago after the third toggle it stopped working. While the app would toggle on and off it still kept me in SW until the NWS period was over.

Could have been a fluke or maybe Tesla has an algorithm that limits your toggle requests.
I have now done it three times. If this weather and smoke keeps up, I will find out if your theory holds up.

Edit: Oops. Miscounted. I've already done the ON/OFF toggle 4 times in the last 9 days.

Last edited:
Reactions: aesculus
Sounds like for you at least, or perhaps my case was a fluke, it is working OK to toggle on and off.

After looking at the lack of thunderstorm activity from the south or crest of the Sierra tonight I turned mine off at 7pm. No sense in paying PG&E max rates to run my house. It took all of two minutes to show Storm Watch deactivated and simultaneously the powerflow started pulling from the battery too.

I have now done it three times. If this weather and smoke keeps up, I will find out if your theory holds up.

Edit: Oops. Miscounted. I've already done the ON/OFF toggle 4 times in the last 9 days.
I would assume this was during two separate SW events.

Do you have any idea how many you did in one SW event? That is where I ran into issues. From the time SW was activated to the time it ended it stuck on after the third toggle.

That is how it worked on the previous SW event a week ago.
I called tesla and perhaps they fixed it?
The power flow change is very fast. The words to appear is slow, perhaps 4minutes or more?

Reactions: Ngenn