Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Storm Watch due to COVID measures?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has pulled the trigger on this during planned outages before. My county is about to enter 3 weeks of shelter in place.

Should our PWs start preparing for the worse?

Worst? What does Corona Virus have to do with the PG&E grid? Remember storm watch activates when the NWS (National Weather Service) issues a severe enough alert that WILL impact the grid. The Corona Virus has nothing to do with weather patterns. In fact, if you look at what is happening in Italy, their solution/smog levels are getting better since there is a Shelter in Place...

We will have one in the Bay Area later tonight extended to early April, so hopefully our polution/smog levels will increase as well.

Bay Area 'shelter in place' expected: Only essential businesses open in 6 counties with 6.7 million people until April 7

Reactions: ra88it
Tesla has pulled the trigger on this during planned outages before. My county is about to enter 3 weeks of shelter in place.

Should our PWs start preparing for the worse?

As stated, unless this is a weather emergency (it isnt) there is no reason for stormwatch to be active. If you want to do something to ensure you have power, simply switch your powerwall to backup only mode and leave it there (or, put it in self powered mode with a high reserve).

You have complete control over that, and nothing regarding coronavirus is going to stop your powerwalls from charging from solar, so they will eventually get full, even with storms.

Shouldn't be a problem unless you have solar along with PW and neighborhood kids decide to TP your house and cover up the panels, thus impeding changing. Oh wait, they can't get hold of TP now... never mind. :eek::D

Kids running around with TP will be stopped, tied to a tree, And their TP will taken as "evidence" - to be sold to the highest bidder.

• Funny
Reactions: jjrandorin
Let's just say, hypothetically, that a grid system in the US had to go into a peak system with rolling shutoffs etc. No a PSPS due to weather event but something else in nature.
Would that be enough for a storm watch? To allow PWs to recharge from the grid?

Let's just say, hypothetically, that a grid system in the US had to go into a peak system with rolling shutoffs etc. No a PSPS due to weather event but something else in nature.
Would that be enough for a storm watch? To allow PWs to recharge from the grid?

If there is a rolling power outage (like we had in the Bay Area in the early 2000), then yes they would active Storm Watch.

Note: It is NOT summer, so we won't see the load like we do when everyone is running their AC. Even though people are working from home, powering a few MacBook Pro and kids playing Xbox One X a few more hours than normal should not strain the grid.

I think either way, you don't have to be worried about anything occurring to the grid... Unless we end up with a "AMC's WalkingDead" type fo scenario, but then you have larger problems to deal with.

If you want to see Storm Watch go into effect, wait until the Sept-Nov timeframe int he Bay Area when PG&E will purposely turn off the power to certain areas.

No, PG&E sent out an email promising no outages.
I had a short one yesterday. ;)
That was interesting in that I installed 3 UPS to Tivo/tv, modem, and wi-fi in prep for my PW.
I heard a tweet in my intercom, then something behind me as I was eating, tv going, wi-fi reading paper on line. So, I look behind me, the clocks went off in micro and oven. Wow, without that short, small tweet I would never have known until I went by the micro.

• Love
Reactions: jboy210
That was interesting in that I installed 3 UPS to Tivo/tv, modem, and wi-fi in prep for my PW.
I heard a tweet in my intercom, then something behind me as I was eating, tv going, wi-fi reading paper on line. So, I look behind me, the clocks went off in micro and oven. Wow, without that short, small tweet I would never have known until I went by the micro.

Nice! I was joking with my reply.

We didn't have power for 3 days last year because of the fires. My pool almost went green, had to throw away so much food from the refrigerator, and I was close to a messy divorce :) this year I am prepared! no more, never again!

Last edited:

I am hoping to have that experience someday. But with the Shelter in Place rule Tesla has pulled their installation crews off installs. So I have 2 PowerWalls installed but and need 2-3 days worth of work on the roof to the energy to charge them. So close, yet so far away.

I am hoping to have that experience someday. But with the Shelter in Place rule Tesla has pulled their installation crews off installs. So I have 2 PowerWalls installed but and need 2-3 days worth of work on the roof to the energy to charge them. So close, yet so far away.
What, they are not installing PWs? Did they notify you? Can I expect to be notified? Or a 2 man crew is not an issue?