Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange Destination Charger experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JSergeant

Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2014
Seattle, WA
I recently upgraded my on board charger to 72 amps in anticipation of a trip to Canada. I'm currently in Nova Scotia, and the upgrade has worked well. I had one session on an 80 amp destination charger which gave me very fast charging.

However last night I was connect to a 40 amp destination charger at my hotel in Halifax, NS and when I got up this morning, I found that the charging had gone above the 90% level I had set it to (which would normally give me 255 miles of range). The car shows it is charged to 270 miles and the green bar exceeds the 90% white line. However I got a message at about 2:30 am saying charging was completed with battery at 255 miles.

I have attached iPhone screen shots to illustrate this. I've never seen this happen before.

IMG_1284.PNG

IMG_1283.PNG

I charge at a destination charger at work all the time but I had never seen this. The only time I had greater charger level than limit is when I move the limit down.

The good thing is that you car does thinkbitbgot more miles, 270 vs 255, so it is not like it just recorded more degradation. Send a email to Tesla and see what they say.

I recently upgraded my on board charger to 72 amps in anticipation of a trip to Canada. I'm currently in Nova Scotia, and the upgrade has worked well. I had one session on an 80 amp destination charger which gave me very fast charging.

However last night I was connect to a 40 amp destination charger at my hotel in Halifax, NS and when I got up this morning, I found that the charging had gone above the 90% level I had set it to (which would normally give me 255 miles of range). The car shows it is charged to 270 miles and the green bar exceeds the 90% white line. However I got a message at about 2:30 am saying charging was completed with battery at 255 miles.

I have attached iPhone screen shots to illustrate this. I've never seen this happen before.

IMG_1284.PNG

IMG_1283.PNG
My car has "overcharged" beyond 90% a few times. Usually by 3-4%. I think it is just the vehicle managing it's charge for balancing or SOC purposes. I wouldn't worry about it.

Coincidentally. I live in Nova Scotia. So perhaps it just the Maritimes Tesla ghost.
I was just going to point that out!
I've been driving and charging Model S for five years all over the US and Canada and this is the first time I've ever seen this.

I sent a note to Tesla, but haven't heard anything back.

I had a look at my TeslaFi log, and it shows charging stopped at 2:33am with battery level at 90%, and there was no further charging, so maybe it was just a display/reporting problem.