Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange GM volt commercial

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla should respond with an ad where the guy goes, "it can go 245 miles fully on electricity!".
Point being the guy seems so proud of that as he says the volt can go 40 miles on electricity yet that number seems tiny compared to the tesla that tesla could easily make an ad making that one look silly.

And GM's own EV1 could do 140 miles on its battery.

However. . .

I think GM management truly believe the public won't accept a car that can't go 300 miles without stopping, then refuel in 10 minutes and go another 300 miles. It's not a question of need, it's about what we're all used to. And that's something the Volt should be able to do, whereas a Tesla Roadster cannot.

It is unfortunately a mixed message they are trying to present.

(Perhaps a tad analogous to the "Tesla is not a Lotus" situation)

GM wants people to think of the Volt as an EV, not a Hybrid.

If they advertise the full range (including running down the fuel tank) then they admit it is a hybrid.

If they advertise the EV only range (40 miles) to suggest you could just plug in frequently to avoid ever using the gas motor, then it ends up sounding like a very pathetic EV.

Their marketing department probably needs to get more creative, or else this is just the makings of another FUD machine, EV1 type experience. (We built something but don't really want to sell it).

It's that electric thingmagig .... ac fan I think it's called :)

Seriously I agree that 40miles on electric alone is so little that they should get more creative than that? What's wrong with talking about the electric engines insane torque at 0 rpm... that should interest potential buyers shouldn't it?

Cobos

I don't think John Q. Public knows what torque means unless it's in terms of 0-60 mph, horsepower or any other marketing terms.

And 8 to 8.5 seconds doesn't sound that thrilling...

Besides, why would they need to say any of that when they're not even building it? If they can keep it in concept form, then they can say anything they want that concept's capabilities are.

I am really curious to see how cars like this will be 5 year later if the owner doesn't go more than 40 miles very often and the gas engine doesn't get a chance to run and heat up. I know one of the worst things for gas engines is to never run, or only run for short intervals.

I mentioned that concern a while back.
It would be easy enough for them to change car firmware to just start up the ICE every so often just to keep the fluids happy.

Or you bring in the car for your regular maintenance (e.g.: what would normally be a 5K oil change), and all they do is run the ICE for a few minutes then send you on your way. Actually oil and gasoline do break down after a while so they would probably want to replace them if the ICE hadn't been run in all that time.