Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange Vibration after getting in, before Pressing Brake Pedal - anyone else experience this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

So today I had something VERY strange happen. I've owned 4 Teslas - 2 Model S's and 2 Model 3's - and I have NEVER heard anything close to what I heard today.

I just bought a brand new Model 3, about 3 weeks ago. It has only 450 miles. Standard.
It has been a little cold where I live, low 30's (F), but the car is garaged, and the coldest it gets in my garage is low 50s (F).

This morning, I drove my kid to school, around 8:00am. I came back home and didn't touch the car until I had to pick her up at 3:15 pm.

So, I opened the door, and right after I sat down BEFORE shutting the door, BEFORE pressing the Brake Pedal to "turn on" the car, it made a VERY STRONG VIBRATION, under the center console.
It occurred for about 1/2 second.
The best way I can describe it is when you see those modded cars with the subwoofers that are way too powerful, and it makes the trunk shake and vibrate - that's what it sounded and felt like, but without any sound, just the vibration itself.

I must also say that it was not sound-related. Meaning, it's not like I had the music really loud, and the radio turned on. The vibration didn't come out of the speakers.
This was a vibration that I heard as if pieces of metal and/or plastic were vibrating.
After it occurred, I stepped out of the car, and didn't check back on it for about an hour (I was afraid that there might be something catastrophic. So I didn't want to chance it until I spoke to someone).
I called headquarters and spoke briefly to a tech. They didn't really know, but speculated it might have something to do with the HVAC system, but said I should try and replicate it, and if it happens again, to set up an appointment for service.

Has anyone had this happen?

I drove the car once again, and it did not happen again. But I'm going to keep making a video every time I get in the car to see if I can catch it.
I'll post if I catch it.
-Ron

I've seen other threads on this. I believe it's the compressor when it first spools up: I think it only does that if heat is demanded (and that will happen as soon as you enter the vehicle). Some people have described it similar to your description while others say it's subtle. On my 2021 (with heat pump) it is so subtle that you'd have to be perfectly still in your seat and try to "feel" it. But it's there. Others seem to be more obvious: seems like there's a lot of variation. My own 2 cents is that if it's that noticeable, it's probably out of spec and might need to be checked. Do it now while it's still cold or they may not be able to replicate it!

Mike

Reactions: rpiotro
I've seen other threads on this. I believe it's the compressor when it first spools up: I think it only does that if heat is demanded (and that will happen as soon as you enter the vehicle). Some people have described it similar to your description while others say it's subtle. On my 2021 (with heat pump) it is so subtle that you'd have to be perfectly still in your seat and try to "feel" it. But it's there. Others seem to be more obvious: seems like there's a lot of variation. My own 2 cents is that if it's that noticeable, it's probably out of spec and might need to be checked. Do it now while it's still cold or they may not be able to replicate it!

Mike
Right, this wasn't subtle at all. It was strong enough to have moved a small object from the vibration.

The problem is that the service center won't give me an appointment unless it does it again. I feel that's not fair, having bought the car brand new. It literally has less than 500 miles. It's not a normal vibration, and I think there should be no excuse not to inspect it - even if it's "only" done it once.

I honestly don't want to wait until it does it again.
Maybe I should just lie to them so that they inspect it.

R.

I have a similar situation but it’s occurred when I have the brake pushed down all the way. The past 2 days it happened it freaked me out. Lasts for maybe a second then stops. Very noticeable but I do not know how to replicate it. The A/C was not on nor do I have a heat pump. My model 3 is a 2018.