Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strangest X “frozen” situation ever

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I needed to pick up my wife’s X (2020 version). I have access in the app, so first set climate to something nice so it wouldn’t be on fire when I got there.

Took an Uber to get it, and…nothing works except Trunk, Frunk, and climate. Lock/unlock, all electrical inside the car (think windows and seats), etc. I went in through the trunk but couldn’t restart (dual button doesn’t work).

They sent a tow truck but he couldn’t tow it since I couldn’t get it in tow mode and the angle at which the car is parked (it was a flatbed/not a wheel and dolly).

Aargh. Any ideas? Why would trunk, frunk, and climate work while everything else does not work? Tow truck driver thinks maybe I just need to try it with the key…

Tow truck driver also verified that the 12V is 100% fine

The irony is that if I don’t move the car by tonight it’s “going to be towed” which is what Tesla support tried to do for me by calling in a tow truck driver :)

I needed to pick up my wife’s X (2020 version). I have access in the app, so first set climate to something nice so it wouldn’t be on fire when I got there.

Took an Uber to get it, and…nothing works except Trunk, Frunk, and climate. Lock/unlock, all electrical inside the car (think windows and seats), etc. I went in through the trunk but couldn’t restart (dual button doesn’t work).

They sent a tow truck but he couldn’t tow it since I couldn’t get it in tow mode and the angle at which the car is parked (it was a flatbed/not a wheel and dolly).

Aargh. Any ideas? Why would trunk, frunk, and climate work while everything else does not work? Tow truck driver thinks maybe I just need to try it with the key…

Tow truck driver also verified that the 12V is 100% fine

The irony is that if I don’t move the car by tonight it’s “going to be towed” which is what Tesla support tried to do for me by calling in a tow truck driver :)
Very sorry for the trouble. I'd be super frustrated as well.

Do whatever you feel best but if the it was me then I would disconnect the 12v and first responder loop.
(Below From my instructions on when I replaced my 12v battery --- 1, 2, wait five minutes, then 5, & 6).

FYI, when I had my cameras replaced one of them was not recognized properly and the tech disconnected the 12v in a way I didn't know about.
Behind the area where the First Responder loop is there is a -12v nut/bolt. He used a socket that was on a swivel to disconnect it.

Take out 12v battery
1) disconnect 12v ground (-)
2) disconnect first responder loop

3) disconnect 12 positive (+)

Put in new 12v battery
4) Connect 12 positive (+)
5) Connect first responder loop
6) Connect 12v ground (-)

4RF4KAB.jpg

Upvote 0