Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stress crack or impact crack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I need help with a crack I noticed on my front glass roof. I do not recall anything ever hitting it, and the crack starts at the edge of the roof. The top of the windshield that is right next to the edge of the roof (where the crack starts) is perfectly fine, it has no cracks or impacts. Please advise if this is a stress crack or an impact crack. There is just a single crack, not multiple crack lines in different directions that I would expect to see due to an impact. Thank you!
PXL_20210818_162806515_LI.jpg
PXL_20210818_162841586_LI.jpg

Please dont take this the wrong way, but I have a genuine question here. If everyone here said "Yep, thats a stress crack", or "No, I see the impact point here at so and so", how would that change things for you?

You still would need to get it fixed, and if (for example) everyone said "I think thats a stress crack" but Tesla says "Not warranty covered due to impact", what happens then? Are you going to say "but I checked with people on the internet and they say its a stress crack".

Im just trying to understand what the purpose of gathering this information is, other than just making conversation, which I dont think is the case since your first sentence is "I need help...."

FWIW, I dont see obvious impact marks in the pictures you posted.

• Love
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Please dont take this the wrong way, but I have a genuine question here. If everyone here said "Yep, thats a stress crack", or "No, I see the impact point here at so and so", how would that change things for you?

You still would need to get it fixed, and if (for example) everyone said "I think thats a stress crack" but Tesla says "Not warranty covered due to impact", what happens then? Are youj going to say "but I checked with people on the internet and they say its a stress crack".

Im just trying to understand what the purpose of gathering this information is, other than just making conversation, which I dont think is the case since your first sentence is "I need help...."

FWIW, I dont see obvious impact marks in the pictures you posted.
GREAT point. OP. are you thinking that if it is a stress crack, that you are going to go to Tesla to make attempt trying to make them take care of it Regardless, "JJ" makes a good point; my opinion (and others) will be worthless to you. Go to a couple of windshield repair shops and get their free professional opinion on what to do :)

I am trying to get to the truthful/right answer, so I am prepared before dealing with Tesla.

Then you should take it to a windshield replacement place as @Silicon Desert mentioned and ask their professional opinion. Ours here wont help you in dealing with tesla. Theirs might.

If it sounds like I am trying to disuade you from posting, thats not it at all, I just dont think anything in this thread is going to help you at all in dealing with tesla, one way or another.

Anyway, as I mentioned, in the two pictures you posted I dont see impact marks, however, the area near the end of the windshield looks like it might have a chip or something from the angle the picture is at.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert