Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck "loading" 128GB FAT32 USB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi:

My M3 gets stuck reading a FAT32 128GB USB. I tried everything I found here and on the web, nothing works.

I formatted (FAT32) using guiformat. I added a test folder with 5 songs in it and a playlist. After inserting the USB, M3 recognizes it ( I see it on the screen) but it is stuck on "preparing/loading" even if I wait for over half an hour.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you.

Hi:

My M3 gets stuck reading a FAT32 128GB USB. I tried everything I found here and on the web, nothing works.

I formatted (FAT32) using guiformat. I added a test folder with 5 songs in it and a playlist. After inserting the USB, M3 recognizes it ( I see it on the screen) but it is stuck on "preparing/loading" even if I wait for over half an hour.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you.
I used the free software DiskGenius to format FAT32 on my 128Gb jump drive. I got this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BPG9YX9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Never had a problem. I have over 10,000 songs on it in both MP3 and M4A (ripped myself, not DRM protected). It plays them all no issue. I think it took just a few minutes to index all my files.

Thanks for this, much appreciated! I will test it tomorrow.

BTW, did you only have music on it or you combined it with "TeslaCam" folder for dashcam files (in two disk partitions, I suppose)?

Thanks again.

I'm glad it worked for you!

I tried both tools, DiskGenius and guiformat, and used different cluster sizes including defaults. NOTHING WORKED! I also tried to have only "TeslaCam", only one music folder with 5 songs and playlist, and both combined. STILL, nothing worked!!

Tesla "sees" the 128GB disk but is stuck on "Starting...", even after leaving the USB in for an hour with each test I did.

I know the USB works since I tested it on several computers.

Stumped!!!

Any other ideas or tricks to try would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks.

I had similar issues. Try using a different formatting tool - for me Minitool Partition Wizard (free!) did the trick.

Please see my thread - Nomad + USB Setup Issues
Thanks for this idea. I tried Minitool Partition Wizard and same results... does NOT work! I tried it with 12.1.2 and 16.2 in the hope that 16.2 might have fixed some quirk but, sadly, no dice.

What to do next???!!!! VERY FRUSTRATING.........