Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stupid Charge Station Locations...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Arguably we can never have enough charge stations, but as they start to proliferate there are going to be some which show up in dumb locations. This one just got installed on City Island in Sarasota and begs the question "What are you going to do while your vehicle is charging?"....

a) There's nothing here except public bathrooms and a kids playground.
b) It's 10 miles from the Interstate (and then's plenty of other charge stations near the I-75)
c) It's over 4 miles to downtown (which has charge stations and free parking on the charge spots)
d) It's 2 miles from the nearest beach access.
e) It's 1½ miles from the nearest shopping area.
f) It's ½ mile from the nearest restaurant.
g) It's ½ mile from Mote Marine Aquarium. (Shameless plug! But why didn't they put it there?!)
h) There's lot's of nice open space if you want to walk your dog, but if you live locally why not just charge at home?

IMG-20120310-00016.jpg

IMG-20120310-00017.jpg

IMG-20120310-00019.jpg

I believe all of the ChargePoint and almost all other J1772 public chargers max out at 30A. It has something to do with the connector of some component only being certified at 30A instead of what it should be (32A or 80% of 40A). Seems stupid to give up those 2A for nothing basically.

I had a discussion with a gentleman several weeks ago that was leading the sales team marketing the 75 amp UL approved connector. According to him we should see more of the higher power J1772's in the near future. He mentioned several companies that will be carrying his product. Eaton, Clipper Creek, and others.

I had a discussion with a gentleman several weeks ago that was leading the sales team marketing the 75 amp UL approved connector. According to him we should see more of the higher power J1772's in the near future. He mentioned several companies that will be carrying his product. Eaton, Clipper Creek, and others.

That's problematic for Roadster owners - the J1772 adaptor only works if the connection is 70amps or less. See this thread. If it encounters anything higher than 70, it returns an error message and the Roadster does not charge. Time to start asking Tesla (again) to fix this issue.

I believe all of the ChargePoint and almost all other J1772 public chargers max out at 30A. It has something to do with the connector...

Yeah, that has been discussed elsewhere, like here:
J1772 Charging for the Tesla Roadster
attachment.php?attachmentid=1041&d=1288045519.jpg

Most of the "run of the mill" J1772 plugs are only rated to 30A.
The 75A capable ones are less available, and more expensive. But even if the EVSE manufacturer includes the 75A plug it doesn't mean that the EVSE will be configured to offer 75A. Bonnie's concern about Roadster compatability can be addressed if the EVSEs are configured for lower than max ampacity.

Yes, it does, but apparently there is a compatibility issue with some EVSEs that advertise 75A+ capability, and the Roadster's onboard charging equipment.

If you set the EVSE to lower max current ("ampacity signal") then the Roadster charges fine at that rate. But if the EVSE signal basically says "the maximum you can pull" then it may refuse to charge. (At least that is what I recall hearing.) I think the original EVSE signal didn't go that high, and it was modified to "shoehorn in" higher charging rates. I wonder if the Roadster charger sometimes has trouble locking onto that signal level?