Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sub 10 micron accuracy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mspohr

Jul 27, 2014
California

Professor X believes that Tesla can attain such precision, but Clarke questioned the demand in an email he sent me today. “Is totally infeasible for production. Body panel tolerances are measured in whole mm to allow for variance in assembly and the tolerance stack!” This is also nonsense because, as he points out, it doesn’t take into account the thermal expansion and contraction of vehicles that come into play during the manufacturing and operation of the vehicle.

Still, Musk is soldiering on with the Cybertruck despite its unprecedented design, which remains unprecedented for good reason: it makes production difficult and repairs nearly impossible.

It goes without saying that the time to ask for “sub 10 micron accuracy” from your own company, let alone the suppliers building parts for the thing would be several years ago, before the car was “headed for production.” But we’re all learning as we go in this life.

• Informative
Reactions: CyberGus
Does Musk really expect parts manufactures to retool just to get the tolerances down this late in the game? They have already tooled up and built thousands of parts according to Tesla's specifications. Retooling the body stamping machines will cost a fortune and delay the Truck even further.

Reactions: DblOSmith
First, we had "Elon Time".

DustShield-Blog-Header-1200x627-7-22-v2.jpg

Now, we have "Elon Space"

Does Musk really expect parts manufactures to retool just to get the tolerances down this late in the game? They have already tooled up and built thousands of parts according to Tesla's specifications. Retooling the body stamping machines will cost a fortune and delay the Truck even further.
It will take more than retooling, I don’t believe any auto part has ever approached that, sub 0.010mm the warmth of your hand would take it out of tolerance. More EMBS.

It will take more than retooling, I don’t believe any auto part has ever approached that, sub 0.010mm the warmth of your hand would take it out of tolerance. More EMBS.
Again, I call Elon out as much as anyone, but this is like a manager telling people a new product needs to be perfect. No one is really expecting sub 10 micron. People are making this into a huge deal for no reason.

People are taking that too literally. As many have pointed out, it's not possible, but Elon just wants better. Panel alignment has always been a thorn in Tesla's side, so he wants extra dedication on the CT....the early models haven't been great in that regard and it's nice that Elon is acknowledging it.

Visual illustration of 10 micron statement hilarity.
1000 micro might be a more realistic goal:

1693627141324.png

I guess the Cybertruck won't be using Armor Glass. Wonder what the cost of replacing the windshield will be?

Equally importantly - how many weeks of mismanaged supply chain delays before it is in stock at your SC, when you need one?